Monday 3 February 2020

Interview With Sergio Van Dijk: 2014

Matt Riley's exclusive interview with former Suphanburi striker, Sergio van Dijk, for my old website, from November, 2014.


Can you talk us through you time so far in Hanoi and how you are preparing for Saturday's game? 
We arrived in Hanoi two days ago. Then it was straight into a training session each day and we are feeling really comfortable and confident as well to get this tournament started and get some good results.

You've had a strong warmup. It was clearly disappointing to lose your final game against Syria, but you beat Malaysia and Cambodia. With such an experienced squad, this must give you a great deal of confidence.
The team we have has a good mix of experience and also young players. The preparation was pretty good. The win against Timor Leste was good for our feeling with scoring some goals. The next game against Syria was a bit tougher, but that also has a positive side because it wakes us up and we could see there were a couple of things to improve and that's what we have been working on this last couple of days.

Timor Leste also have players who originally had different nationalities. Of course you are of Dutch heritage. You made the decision to take up Indonesian citizenship quite late in your career. Do you wish you had made the change earlier to extend your international opportunities?
First of all, I am very proud that I can play for Indonesia and this was the right time to do it. Also, the Indonesian federation came with this option. I didn't even know this option existed before so for me it is a good experience even though it is late in my career. I still enjoy every minute I can play with the national team.

Even though Timor Leste didn't qualify for the finals, it must have given you a great feeling to score against them on November 11th.
Yes: even though we played against a team that was not the strongest, scoring a goal is always a good feeling. It was a cross from our left full back and I took it in the air before I volleyed it pretty strong at the keeper. He couldn't hold it and it went in. A goal is a goal!

A lot of Indonesian fans contact Suphanburi about you, particularly of course from Persib Bandung. You scored nearly a goal a game there. What memories do you take from your time there?
A great experience playing there. The way the supporters and the people experience football is extraordinary. I haven't seen this in other countries. In Thailand it is good, but it is not as in Indonesia and you can still see Indonesian supporters following me. I would say almost ninety percent of the country are football fans so ninety percent of two hundred and twenty six million people is a lot of fans!

Of course you had one hundred and five games in the A League and scored fifty times. But even after you played in Iran and now Suphanburi there is such a great feeling towards you from Indonesia. Did this happen straight away at Persib Bandung or did it take a while to settle in? 
No, the time at Persib Bandung went off from the start. That was a great feeling. I think I scored ten goals in the first ten games and that was a great start. That made the follow up a bit easier than if you have a tougher start.

What was it like off the field in Indonesia? Did you have time to relax with your family when you were shopping or at restaurants?
That was also the thing about Indonesia. As I said earlier, with ninety percent of the country being football fans, if you are out and about there is not a lot of privacy or time for yourself if you are in the open and people see you. It is a funny thing, but sometimes when you are with the family it could be a little difficult. But that is part of the job. It has its upsides, but also some slight downsides.


So now you have been at Thai Premier League Suphanburi for nearly six months so you have had time to settle in. Did you find the language barrier difficult with so few people speaking English?
I didn't really see it as a big problem. The hard thing for me was that the season in Thailand was halfway already so all the players were pretty fit. I just came from my holiday after a season in Iran. I had to jump straight in and maybe I underestimated what effect that has, not having a proper preseason. Also, the adjustment for my playing style and a little bit of the team adjusting to my playing style took a little time.

Iran and Australian football is seen as physical. What is the style of play in Indonesian football and how different is it to the Thai style?
Indonesian football is not as physical. It is more skill-based and technically strong. Coming from Holland and playing in Australia with some pretty physical football, sometimes I miss that!

Of course your Suphanburi FC team mate Cheryl Chappuis will play for Thailand in the AFF Suzuki Cup. When you look at your group with the Philippines' uncertain form and Laos as a qualifier you must feel confident of meeting up with him again in the semi finals.
Yes. It's funny if that happens to meet Thailand somewhere in the finals. In my opinion I think they are the biggest favourites for winning their league because I can see the quality of their players in the national league. I have seen them in the last six months. I still feel that we also have a good chance of getting far in this tournament. It will be good the meet Cheryl in the finals, but I hope that I can take the cup!

No comments:

Post a Comment