Monday 3 February 2020

Safe Standing Areas - The Tap Room: 2014

Do you think Thai league grounds should have designated standing areas where fans can drink, sing and play drums etc?
22nd December, 2014


Roger Smith - Buriram Utd
I think that having a standing area is a great idea but I think that fans could let their clubs down, as they appear to love chucking items at linesmen . In the stadiums with a running track around them, I would suggest making a standing area behind the goal. As for those grounds where the stands are closer to the pitch, a large net would have to be placed to stop plastic cups full with whatever from hitting officials and players. I somehow think that clubs would resist having such areas.


Kevin Aamlid - Chonburi
I support the idea of a small standing area due to the fact that in these areas the stadium becomes alive. Part of going to a football match for me is being able to experience a different atmosphere compared to watching a football match at home on the tele. The South Americans create a fantastic atmosphere in their standing sections and this is one of the reasons as to why so many people come watch their matches.


Malcolm Imray - Neutral
Most of the stadiums that I regularly visit already have a home section for playing drums and singing. They tend to be in the same position every week so they are easy to avoid/join in depending on your personal preferences. I believe that beer should be allowed to be consumed in most parts of the stadium. The only places where it shouldn't be allowed are in the family section and possibly the VIP zone. Anybody using abusive language or misbehaving due to excess alcohol consumption should be suitably punished. Please stop enforcing restrictions on the well-behaved fans!!


Russ John - Nakorn Ratchasima
Yes I think it might be a good idea - corral all the "ne’er' do wells", thugs and antisocial elements together where they could be closely monitored and more importantly kept separate from us ordinary law abiding citizens!!!  Seriously my thoughts are if such a strategy were to be employed there would exist a tacit acknowledgement that there is a problem at Thai stadia - there is no such problem at the vast majority of venues.
So it's a big "NO NO" from me.


Tommie Duncan - Thai Port
Standing in stadiums. No I don't think it is a good idea at all. An invitation to chaos and bad behavior, as if we don't have enough of that already.  Of course I also don't think the "free seating" idea is good either. I would prefer everyone to have a specific seat. I would like to buy my season's "seat" and plant myself there every game knowing it will be there, even if I am not right on time.  Sadly there are very few stadiums that do as such.


Rob McEvoy - Neutral
The thing that the TPL needs most is for all clubs to have strong passionate fans from their local area. There are about 6 or 7 clubs in the TPL and at the top of  Division 1, that have moved around or represent armed forces and lack atmosphere. A league with teams from Udon, Ubon, Songkhla, Hat Yai, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen and other big cities, as well as teams from Bangkok being from definite areas or social groups (eg Thai Port or Muang Thong Utd)  playing for regional or local pride, would be a big enhancement to atmosphere.

Some big money clubs are trying to artificially develop atmosphere and it doesn’t work. It’s horrible, just as it is in England where they play music or ask fans to "make some noise". Although it looks great from a distance, up close it’s not a great experience. One size does not fit all. If I had time off and was paying myself , I would go to Thai Port or MTU as the atmosphere at both places is good.

I went to my local Division Two team Thonburi CIty last year and it was a great game with a good crowd and atmosphere. No one organised it, the drum turned up after 20 minutes, no one was selling beer, and there was only one stand, but it was a great experience and I would go back. If they get 1500 people every week then someone will start selling beer, the drummer might get some mates and they could go and stand miles away from me. It has every chance to develop further.

I am very passionate about crowd development and something that I've been lucky to work in and investigate. It’s a fascinating area, open to many factors. When it works, it’s the best thing in the world to be a part of.


Brian Enever - Chonburi
First of all I think it would be impossible to create a standing area that was as safe as seats. All seater stadia have created a much safer environment to watch football. It has also created a much better view for all spectators. I just can't understand how standing can create a better atmosphere. We've all seen clubs like Muang Thong Utd and Buriram Utd already appearing to sell two tickets for every seat now. How bad would it be if it was just a standing area to pack everybody in?

When I first started watching Thai football one thing that really impressed me was the atmosphere created by the continuous singing, chanting and drum playing. The whole crowd get involved and really creates a great atmosphere that lifts the players as well. If that was restricted to one small area the whole atmosphere would greatly deteriorate.

I assume that by drinking you mean beer. As somebody said to me the other day, is abstaining during the game such a problem? People can drink as much as they like outside the stadium before the game, they can top up their alcohol level at half time and continue drinking again after the match. That amount of drinking can already fudge their assessment of the game, surely drinking even more during those two forty five minute periods will fudge their assessment even more, not enhance it.


Me - Chonburi
I’d like to see an area at Chonburi Stadium where you can stand and enjoy a drink whilst watching the match. I grew up with the terrace culture of the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s and I do miss it. There has been a lot of talk about “filling in” the corners at our ground and this would be a perfect opportunity to add a couple of safe standing areas to the existing stands. Fans would be allowed to take drinks into these sections – in plastic bags with straws if necessary – on the understanding that any abuse of this…ahem…privilege…would result in ejection and a possible ban. They could even make these members only zones as extra insurance for good behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment