Saturday 8 February 2020

The List: 2015

At the start of the 2015 season I set myself a target of thirty things that I wanted to do over the course of the year. Here's how I got on...

The List 2015: Thirty Things I Must Do This Season

When I was growing up, it was easy being a football supporter. You'd turn up at the ground, buy a programme, pay at the turnstiles, take your place on the terraces with your mates and watch the match. You'd have a pie and a cup of Bovril at half time and then trudge home at the final whistle to fish and chips and a mug of tea. Simple.

However, in the modern age, there are so many more distractions at the stadium (especially in Thailand, with its burgeoning domestic football scene). The whole match going experience has changed. It has become an "event" and the fans are photographed and filmed as much as - if not more than - the action taking place on the pitch. Grounds are surrounded by a riot of colour and noise (as opposed to just a riot - commonplace in the 70s and 80s) and a festival like atmosphere prevails. It's not always been to my taste.

Now, with a new season just around the corner, I've finally decided to embrace this new fan culture but attempt to marry it up to things for which I have a nostalgic yearning. Therefore, I have produced a list of thirty things that I will endeavour to do this year. Some are retro and will fill me with a nice warm glow, and others are contemporary, stuff that I've never felt the urge to do before but am now willing to try.


Over the course of 2015, I will be keeping you up to date with my progress (or otherwise).

DONE
1. Tweet live from a match
Achieved 22/2/15


I must admit, I'm happy to have got this one out of the way. I didn't like it one bit. I'm not a fan of mobile phones - I don't own one - and so this was always going to be a chore for me. I love Twitter, and I'm happy to Tweet live updates from the comfort of my own home whilst watching matches on the tele, but this was no fun at all. It really got in the way of my enjoyment of the game and the terrace banter - hence the drop off in posts as the ninety minutes progressed. Kudos to those of you who can do this on a regular basis but it's not for me - even though I did pick up twenty one new followers as a result!


2. Watch a home match from the Scoreboard End
Achieved: 8/3/15


Another one that I wasn't particularly looking forward to. Having watched a match from the away end last season, I knew what to expect in terms of the lousy view from behind the goals. So at least I was prepared for that. However, I wasn't expecting the match against Tero to be a sell out (it still baffles me as to why) so I wasn't anticipating having as much difficulty in finding a seat.

Unfortunately, the procedure in the Scoreboard End - where there is unreserved seating - seems to be, get in early, find some seats, cover them in newspaper to "claim" them and then disappear outside again until just before (or just after) kick off, when you return and sit down, as many around you are still standing and looking bemused. Now this may work when there is plenty of space but is a recipe for disaster (and arguments - I'm not proud of myself!) when the place is full.

It also meant that the three of us who'd gone to the match together couldn't sit as a group and also left many people blocking the entrance/exit and the walkways. Not good.

Away from all that, the atmosphere was OK but still too orchestrated for my liking - although the ticker tape welcome is pretty impressive. And it's funny to hear the fans contesting decisions at the far end of the field when they clearly can't see what happened - we had to wait until our usual half time conversation with friends in the main stand for confirmation of the sendings off.

All in all, not a good experience. But at least it's now out of the way.


3. Eat fish and chips and drink a mug of tea at a match
Achieved 24/3/15


Pattaya Utd v Chonburi. The gods were certainly smiling on me when this friendly fixture was arranged. Less than ten minutes from work and in a city that has more fish and chip shops than noodle stalls.

I managed to pick up the grub from Layla's Place (how tempting it must have been to add the extra "i" in there) en route to the match - sadly, not wrapped in newspaper - knowing that it would still be warm when I arrived at the ground.

After meeting up with two fellow Chonburians, we found a nice little shop behind the main stand, in which to sit down to enjoy our meal. I don't think that fish, chips and mushy peas have ever tasted so good. Unfortunately, my companions chose to wash down their food with Chang so the flask of tea I had prepared earlier, remained un-drank (is there such a word?). But a fine time was had by all, especially as it was cold, wet and miserable - the perfect conditions to scoff our pre match tea from the chippy.


4. Have my photograph taken with a Chonburi player
Achieved 5/4/15


This was pretty straightforward. If you hang around long enough after the match, the players will eventually emerge from the comfort of the dressing room and make their way through the vast throngs of supporters armed with camera phones.

We were in the middle of our usual post mortem and post match beers, when Surawich came through the barrier that seperates the players and officials from the hoi polloi. I waited patiently until he had finished smiling and posing with some young girls and then a family who were all kitted out in Chonburi shirts, before making my move.

He was more than happy to stand and smile while my mate Brian wrestled with my pre war camera and eventually managed to take a couple of useable snaps. Another friend - who shall remain nameless - muscled in on the photo without being invited, so I've cropped him out of the version you see here. That'll learn him!

With thanks to Surawich


5. Have my photograph taken with an opposition mascot
Achieved 26/4/15

This was easy. Like every mascot, the Bangkok Glass one is expected to get out there and mingle with the fans. This he was doing with great panache when I approached him to ask for ask for a photograph. He was more than happy to oblige, although I did have to wait until he'd finished with a couple of eight year olds (which, in fairness, is probably the intended demographic).

No doubt most of you are surprised that I didn't try and get a snap with the Rabbit Girls instead. Truth is, I didn't see them and besides, this was my opportunity to live out my James Stewart fantasies - Harvey is one of my favourite films.

It was also my first encounter with a Bunnyman since I met Ian McCulloch and Will Sergeant outside Birmingham Odeon in the early 1980s.


6. Make a video diary of an away trip
Achieved 26/4/15


Bangkok Glass is always one of my favourite away trips. Therefore, I thought it would be an ideal candidate for my video diary. And it didn't disappoint.

I made the journey with my good friend Brian and we met up with Malky from BKK Football Blog at the ground. Both of them were happy enough to contribute - which made my job easier.

I filmed a lot of footage on the day - more than I'd intended - so editing became quite difficult - and time consuming. It was my first effort on Windows Movie Maker and I'm quite proud of the results - particularly my Taxi Driver homage in Part Three. Any lip readers out there might be able to spot that I'm actually quoting Alan Partridge during that sequence.

The man in the photo accompanying this article is a Bangkok Glass security guard who was taking photos of Chonburi fans throughout the match. He gets his own little starring role in the video.

The soundtrack comes courtesy of American TV Cops.


7. Visit a ground I haven't been to before
Achieved 1/7/15


The League Cup tie against Pathum Thani Seeker FC provided me with the perfect opportunity to visit a new ground this season. Normally, the 3:30pm kick would have made such a trip impossible but, as I am now on holiday, it wasn't a problem. It also helped that the Valaya Alongkorn Rajabhat University Stadium is just over an hour and a half's drive from where I live. Perfect.

The ground itself (which we found easily, with the help of Mystic Brian's satnav) was just as I'd imagined it - one stand, a running track and very basic facilities - and was all the better for it. The security was virtually non existent - one kindly old gentleman in a uniform - and we were treated like grown ups, a far cry from some of the experiences we get in the TPL these days. Sadly, as the pitch is on a university campus, we couldn't purchase beer (and we forgot to stock up before we arrived) but there were absolutely no restrictions on what we could take in - we opted for sausages and water!

The match aside (which was as one sided as the 4-0 scoreline suggests), this was a hugely enjoyable experience. A real throwback to my early days watching Thai football and a timely reminder as to why I started watching the local game all those years ago. Thank you Pathum Thani Seeker FC.


8. Take someone to their first match
Achieved 15/7/15


I took my mate Kevin to the home fixture against ToT for his first taste of Thai league football. He drove up to mine straight from work and we made our way to the stadium together. He enjoyed our usual pre match ritual of drinking, eating and putting the world to rights.

Luckily, I'd managed to borrow someone's season ticket so he didn't even have to pay for the privilege of watching the Sharks as they trounced a hapless ToT 4-0. After the match he summed up what he'd seen by saying, "It wasn't atrocious. I'd say about League of Ireland (his local league) level".

It can't have been that bad, as he joined us the following Wednesday for the away match at Army Utd (a 2-1 win), before jetting off for to Dublin. And he's promised to come back again later in the season.


9. Make and wear a giant rosette
Achieved 23/9/15


I knocked up this little beauty during my lunch hour, using some bits of scrap paper - which just happened to be in the rights colours! Sadly, it got slightly damaged on my way to the match - I travelled by motorbike - but I was able to make it look presentable again before I entered the stadium.

In the absence of safety pins - a terrible admission for an old Punk Rocker to make - I fixed it to my shirt with two strategically placed paper clips. This led to the biggest criticism from those around me; they claimed it hung too low (see picture). I know what they meant but I don't think that this distracted from the overall effect.

Unfortunately, the giant rosette didn't bring us much luck, as we lost 1-0. Therefore, I abandoned it at the final whistle. I hope it found a good home and will make an appearance at our first cup tie of 2016.


10. Watch a match from the Press Box or VIP Seats
Achieved 13/10/15


A few weeks ago, I received an e mail from current Laos national team coach, and friend of this site, Steve Darby. "If you're around on October 13th, we're playing a World Cup qualifier against Myanmar in Bangkok," it started. "Try and come along, we need all the support we can get! I'll sort you out with a couple of tickets," it continued.

I replied, saying I'd do my best to be there but it was always a challenge getting from work to downton Bangkok for midweek matches. Thankfully, my mate (Mystic) Brian was also keen to come along and offered me a lift. In the end, we drove to Suvhanabumhi and caught the skytrain to the ground, without any problems.

We arrived at Supachalasai about an hour before kick off and made our way to the VIP entrance. The last contact I'd had with Steve - via e mail earlier in the day - hadn't been too promising, as he was having trouble getting his hands on the tickets. Undeterred, we had already come up with a Plan B; buy tickets and sit with the travelling army (numbering about 12) of Laos fans.

And, as we tried in vain explaining to the security guards who we were and what we wanted, it looked increasingly like Plan B would be put into operation. Thankfully, help was at hand, in the shape of Steve's wife and daughter. They'd already managed to successfully negotiate the "ring of steel" around the VIP area and now came to our assistance.

Once inside, we made our way through - what can only be described as - the Hallowed Halls, to our seats (which can only be described as basic) in the VIP box. Once ensconced, we went in search of refreshment. We found it in the shape of a buffet (a buffet!) and set about tucking in, whilst commenting on how different this was to our usual pre match routine and how the other "lads" would be jealous.

Once our appetites were sated, we returned to our box and settled down to watch the game. The match itself was an entertaining affair, with both teams giving a hundred (and ten) per cent. But, sadly for Laos, they were definitely second best on the night and found themselves on the receiving end of a 3-1 score line.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to stay for the post match press conference so we waved goodbye to Steve from our lofty position in the stand and thanked his family for their hospitality.

We both genuinely enjoyed the experience - which was about as far removed from a Saturday afternoon on the terraces of Boundary Park as it's possible to get - and made our way home - along with a couple of thousand celebrating Burmese -  like two excited schoolboys, still clutching our laminated VVIP passes (see photo).

With thanks to Steve and family.


11. Travel by train to an away match
Achieved 28/10/15


With only one train a day from Chonburi to the capital (with none at the weekend), this was always going to be tough one. Thankfully the timing of the away match at Muang Thong Utd was perfect for me, coming, as it did, in the middle of a week off work. Even the 8:00pm kick off time was a gift from above, as it gave me enough time after the scheduled arrival time (6:15pm) in Bangkok to make my way to the stadium.

I drove from SriRacha up to my friend Brian's about an hour before the train was due to depart and he gave me a lift to Chonburi station. After forking out the outrageous price of B23 for my ticket, I found a seat on the neat, tidy platform and waited. My transport arrived dead on time and I boarded with a sense of anticipation and excitement. This, above all the other items on my List, was the one I'd been looking forward to the most.

I love travelling by train and, if the timetable was more passenger friendly (or me friendly), I would do it a lot more. The journey - of just over three hours - was extremely enjoyable and I got to see a lot more of the countryside - and inner city Bangkok - than I would normally do on a trip to Muang Thong. It was also pleasing to see how popular the railways are with commuters. The service was good and we arrived at our destination only ten minutes late - which is pretty impressive.

At Hua Lamphong, I resisted the very real urge to jump on one of the sleeper trains to Chiang Mai and made my way outside to find a taxi. My cabbie was a particularly chatty chap - who didn't like football - so our rather fraught, stop/start journey through the rush hour traffic was actually quite pleasant, as we discussed a wide range of non-sport related topics. We eventually reached the SCG with plenty of time to spare and so concluded a thoroughly enjoyable adventure. It was jut a shame the team had to spoil my day!

With thanks to Brian


12. Wear a replica shirt to a match
Achieved 1/11/15


On Wednesday 31st October, 2007, Pipob On-Mo scored a streaky goal against Navy FC at Sattahip Navy Stadium, to give Chonburi a 1-0 victory and take us a step closer to winning the TPL title. At the end of the match, he gave me his shirt. That shirt has been sitting in a drawer ever since. When I realised that our "Derby" this year would be eight years and one day after this momentous event, there was only ever going to be one fixture and one polyester garment that would be used to cross this item of The List.

I dug the shirt out the night before and tried it on. Miraculously, it still fitted me (sort of!) Even though it would mean holding my considerable gut in for most of Sunday, I was still determined to press ahead with my plan. After giving it a good wash and hanging it out to dry over night, the big day came.

In the dim and distant past, I used to wear replica jerseys for most games. However, I must admit, I never felt comfortable doing so and this selfless action was more to satisfy the other Chonburi fans - most of all my wife - than for my own benefit. Still, it felt quite natural wearing the old white shirt on the away terrace and it certainly brought us luck.


13. Release more website related material
Achieved 7/11/15


Following on from the success of last season's Never Mind The Bollocks tea/coffee mugs, I thought I'd again plunder a couple of classic lp covers for the new merchandise. This time I chose to go with The Clash's London Calling (featuring a stunning black and white shot of Thiago Cunha in place of Paul Simomon) and Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures, for our new range of badges. And, as with the mugs, the initial batch was snapped up pretty quickly.

However, if you missed out and would like to order one (or more!), please get in touch via the usual channels and I'll see what I can do. I might even be tempted to release some new stuff before the season is over.


14. Wear a bobble hat and scarf and take a rattle to a match
Achieved 22/11/15


Back in the 60s and early 70s it was virtually impossible to buy official club merchandise like bobble hats and scarves - the favoured attire of the discerning terrace dweller. Therefore, my gran used to knit mine - just like she'd knit my football kits and school jumpers, but that's another story. My grandad made me my first rattle.

Fast forward nearly forty years and the same was true when I started following the Sharks. Sadly, my gran was no longer around to keep me in wooly accessories. However, a couple of enterprising locals - who were handy with the old needles - starting producing home made headwear and neckwear in Chonburi colours. The hat I'm wearing in the photo (honest!) - and pictured in close up - is the one they gave me at the start of the 2007 season.

This craze for self produced fan attire, inspired the club to start manufacturing and selling its own. The scarf I'm sporting was the first official one, and also comes from the title winning year. There aren't many of these around, as the marketing department didn't think there'd be a demand for them in the Tropics.

The rattle I'm holding doesn't have such an interesting backstory. A teacher friend of mine found it on his desk one morning and asked me if I'd like it. Or should he just throw it away? I bit his hand off. It's not as good as the one my grandad made but it still made a decent racket and woke up a couple of main stand regulars.

Even though the temperature at Chonburi Stadium last Sunday didn't quite get as low as it used to at the Boundary Park of my youth, it was still cool enough for me to keep the ensemble on for the entire match, without too much discomfort.


15. Wear a jester's hat to a match
Achieved 9/12/15


Before I continue, I'd just like to make it perfectly clear that I do not own this hat, it is on loan, and now I have crossed this item off my list, I will never wear it again. Thank you.

With time and matches running out, I decided it was time to bite the bullet and wear the jester's hat. I managed to borrow it from work on the day of the game and from the moment it was in my possession, I was dreading the time that I would actually have to put it on. After finding a decent spot in the away end at Osotspa, I took one last sip of my water (Dutch Courage) and slipped on the most ridiculous headgear that I have ever worn. And no-one batted an eyelid!

Even though it doesn't really go with my work clothes - what does it go with? - I managed to keep it on for a large portion of the match. However, I was relieved when the final whistle blew and I was able to take it off. I was very tempted to pass it on to Sinthaweechai following his last minute howler that cost us a point. But I had to return it to its rightful owner the next day.


16. Hand out dark blue and light blue ballooons at an away match
Achieved 9/12/15


Due to a latish start (work!), traffic problems and difficulty finding a parking space, we only made it to the ground a few minutes before kick off. However, I still had time to move among the visiting fans and hand out the two packets of balloons that I'd bought from my local 7-11 the day before.

There were a few surprised faces, but, by and large, the majority of supporters were delighted to receive such an unexpected gift. Thankfully, most of the balloons had been blown up before the teams emerged from the tunnel and therefore were able to add to the colourful pre match spectacle. I only wish I'd bought more!


17. Take a large banner to a match
Achieved 13/12/15


A large bedsheet, a tin of spray paint, an outdoor space and away we go! It's been a while since I last made a banner - late 70s or early 80s - but, just like riding a bike, you never lose the touch.

I had it in my bag for the away match at Osotspa on the 9th but due to our late arrival (see item number 16) and lack of space, I wasn't able to display it. Therefore, the final home match - and indeed final match - of the 2015 season was earmarked for the big flag's debut.

As I proudly unfurled my new standard from the upper tier of the main stand, I was blissfully unaware that it was obstructing the view of the back two rows of the lower deck. However, one of the punters made her way upstairs to let me know in no uncertain terms. I sheepishly apologised and refurled it, but left it hanging with half of the message showing. As the match progressed and we limply surrendered to an abject 3-0 defeat, I bet she wished I'd left it as it was!


18. Write a guest article for another website
Achieved 4/11/15


I came across @lushfantweets whilst browsing on Twitter one day. They were asking for Lush memorabilia from the 80s/90s, which they could post on their Lush Appreciation Society website, to celebrate the band's recent reunion. I contacted them to say that I had a gig review I'd written for a fanzine back in the day but it is stuck in a box in my mum's loft, 6,000 miles away. However, I did offer to write an account of the evening for their project. Here it is:

ONE NIGHT IN COLNE
By Dale Farrington
In 1991 I was living in Kendal on the edge of the English Lake District. One of my housemates at the time was Pete Acland, brother of Chris. When we heard that Lush would be playing in Colne – just over an hour away – on the first night of their Black Spring Tour, Pete contacted Chris and asked him to put us on the guest list, along with their mum and dad.

On the night of the gig, Pete’s parents picked us up from home and drove us down to east Lancashire. The drive was a very pleasant and entertaining one, as we discussed a wide variety of subjects ranging from music to politics, football to theatre, with a bit of local gossip thrown in for good measure.

On arrival, the ever affable and funny Chris was waiting for us and made sure that we had no problems getting in. We had a good chat and Pete gave him his belated birthday present – a copy of the most recent Rothman’s Football Year Book. Mikki also came over to say hello and was as witty and engaging as always. The two musicians then made their way backstage to get ready for their performance and we headed for the bar.

Over the course of the evening, I bumped into David Gedge from the Wedding Present, who was taking the opportunity to see Lush before his own band went out on a European tour. We had a lengthy conversation, during which I reminded him of an early Weddoes gig I’d helped to promote at a Working Mens’ Club in the midlands. Thankfully, he remembered it with great fondness.

When Lush appeared, Pete and I took up our positions about halfway between the back of the hall and the stage – considering ourselves too old to be “down the front” but still young enough not to join his parents in the balcony. It proved to be a wise choice.

I loved (and still love) my Lush records but I always considered them to be a cracking live band and they certainly didn’t disappoint that night. They were fantastic – and very loud! Even louder than support act Gallon Drunk, which is some achievement. However, the highlight of the evening was when the four of us got a mention from Mikki.

After the show we met up with Mr and Mrs Acland. “Did you enjoy that?” I asked. No response, other than a smile. I wasn’t sure if they’d heard me so I enquired again.

“They were great, weren’t they? Did you enjoy that?”
Still nothing but big grins.

I tried a third time. “Did you enjoy the gig?”

It was at this point that Mrs Acland held up her hand, realising that there was a problem. Then, in unison, the parents of “The Drummer From Lush” both removed the ear plugs that they had been wearing throughout the concert.

“Sorry, what did you say?”
“I asked you if you’d enjoyed it.”
“Oh yes. Very much. Thank you.”

After a few minutes, and the chance to buy “one for the road”, we saw Chris making his way through the throng of well-wishers and autograph hunters to bid us goodbye. We thanked him for sorting out our passes and wished him well for the rest of the tour. We then made our weary, but happy, way home.

A week or so later, I wrote a review of the gig – “Colne Dynamoes” – for Exploding Latics Inevitable, the Oldham Athletic fanzine I was editing at the time. Naturally, I was full of praise for the group and Chris’s Rothman’s also got a couple of mentions. I do still have a copy of that particular issue but sadly, it’s in my Mum’s loft 6,000 miles away so I can’t reproduce it here. However, I carry the memories around with me always.

You can read more about Lush here:
Lush: 4AD
Lush on Facebook
Lush Appreciation Society


19. Hand out flowers to Newin Chidchob's personal security guards
Attempted 19/8/15 & 23/9/15


Of all the items on my lists - this year's and last year's - this was the one I was most looking forward to. Just to see the looks on the faces of those oh so hard, menacingly dressed in black "security" guards, as a middle aged Englishman gave them flowers, would be its own reward. Sadly, it wasn't to be. They didn't show up at their (and my!) usual pre-match meeting place. In fact the only sighting I had of them was when they marched past in the distance (see photo - right). I would've felt silly (sillier!) running after them, so I let it go and was left holding the bouquet (see photo - left).

I did get another chance at this a couple of weeks later, when we were drawn at home to Buriram Utd in the FA Cup. Unfortunately, it was the same result - a defeat - both on and off the pitch. You can guarantee that this will be on my 2016 List. I will do this!


20. Get a letter printed in the Bangkok Post
Attempted 27/12/15 Achieved ?


I submitted the following - rather crawly - letter to the Bangkok Post on the 27th of December, 2015. As I don't buy the paper, I'm not sure if they printed it or not.

PRAISE FOR THE BANGKOK POST
As the curtain comes down on the 2015 Thai Premier League football season, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the Bangkok Post for its extended coverage of this year's competition. With more and more ex-pats following the domestic game, it is encouraging that the country's leading English language newspaper provides regular match previews and reports, along with the occasional more in depth articles on those involved.

Tor Chittinand in particular, deserves recognition for his tireless promotion of the sport and keeping us abreast of all the latest news and stories. As the league continues to grow and flourish - with more and more provincial clubs represented in the top flight - it is reassuring to know that your journal will keep us all up to date with the soap opera that is the TPL. Keep up the good work!

Dale Farrington
SriRacha

Failed to do
Join in with the half time fan club scarf exchange
Buy a ticket from a tout
Cycle to a home match
Dye my hair blue for one of the "big" matches
Build a scale model of Chonburi Stadium
Create some Chonburi FC graffiti
Get a Chonburi FC tattoo
Write and record a Chonburi FC tribute song
Paint one of my Subutteo teams in Chonburi FC colours
Produce an old skool photocopied Chonburi fanzine

No comments:

Post a Comment