Tuesday 4 February 2020

The List: 2014

At the start of the 2014 season I set myself a target of thirty things that I wanted to do over the course of the year. Here's how I got on...

The List 2014: Thirty Things I Must Do This Season



When I was growing up, it was easy being a football supporter. You'd turn up at the ground, buy a programme, pay at the turnstiles, take your place on the terraces with your mates and watch the match. You'd have a pie and a cup of Bovril at half time and then trudge home at the final whistle to fish and chips and a mug of tea. Simple.

However, in the modern age, there are so many more distractions at the stadium (especially in Thailand, with its burgeoning domestic football scene). The whole match going experience has changed. It has become an "event" and the fans are photographed and filmed as much as - if not more than - the action taking place on the pitch. Grounds are surrounded by a riot of colour and noise (as opposed to just a riot - commonplace in the 70s and 80s) and a festival like atmosphere prevails. It's not always been to my taste.

Now, with a new season just around the corner, I've finally decided to embrace this new fan culture but attempt to marry it up to things for which I have a nostalgic yearning. Therefore, I have produced a list of thirty things that I will endeavour to do this year. Some are retro and will fill me with a nice warm glow, and others are contemporary, stuff that I've never felt the urge to do before but am now willing to try.

Over the course of 2014, I will be keeping you up to date with my progress (or otherwise).


DONE
1. Have my photograph taken with the Shark mascot.
Achieved 22/2/14


I followed him out of the ticket office - where I'd seen him without his head! - and asked for a photo. He was more than happy to oblige. Job done.

2. Have a pie and a cup of Bovril at a home match
Achieved 26/3/14


I bought a chicken pie from Our Home Bakery in Rayong (price B70) and washed it down with a cup of Bovril, prior to the home match against Bangkok Glass; the Bovril had been brought over to Thailand by mum in January. Evocative of freezing cold nights on the terraces at English football grounds in the 70's.

3. Go to a match with a scarf tied around my wrist
Achieved 9/4/14


In the early 70's it was de rigueur for young lads in England to go to games with a scarf tied around their wrists. To some - at a time of "football hooliganism" - this was seen as an act of aggression but for most of us, we were just being cool. The fashion had pretty much died out by the end of the decade (possibly due to the fact that the Bay City Rollers had adopted it as part of their image) so I got a real buzz when I went to Wednesday's match doing something that I hadn't done for almost forty years. Just lucky I didn't get nicked by the Old Bill.

4. Wave a homemade “Sack the Board” banner if we’re not in the top three at Songkran
Achieved n/a

As we're sitting in third place at Songkran - only one point behind the leaders - I'm off the hook with this one. However, if any Suphanburi or Buriram Utd fans want the sign, please drop me a line at the usual address, and I'll stick it in the post for you. It deserves a good home.

5. Have my photograph taken with an opposition player
Achieved 11/5/14


I spotted Air Force Utd midfielder Josef Tirer walking across the car park as we were having our usual post match beer. I approached him and asked if he'd mind having his photo taken. Not surprisingly, he looked rather bemused but graciously agreed. Thank you, Josef.

6. Watch a match from an executive box
Achieved 17/5/14


It wasn't all plain sailing but after a few phone calls, I managed to book an executive box for me and seven others for the game at Muang Thong Utd. The day wasn't entirely without incident - after all, we were slap bang in the middle of the so called "Ultras" - but nevertheless, it was an enjoyable experience and we were well looked after. The small box had the basics - a couple of chairs, a table, a fridge and air-con, plus six comfy seats outside - and, after a lot of negotiating, we were also allowed to take our cans and bottles of beer in, to drink with our complimentary meal. I'm not sure that I could watch every match from behind glass doors but, as a one off, it was fun.

7. Make a tin foil model of the FA Cup and take it to a cup tie
Achieved 21/5/14


Sadly, there was no tin foil involved but I did have fun constructing this using a cardboard box, gold spray paint and a black marker pen. My only regret is that I didn't make it bigger. Maybe for the final...

8. Take a photo of all my replica shirts and post it on Twitter and Facebook
Achieved 24/5/14


As there was no football this weekend, I had the time to dig around in all my drawers to find my collection of Chonburi FC shirts. After folding them as neatly as I could, I laid them out on the floor of my living room and took a photograph. The resultant snap was duly posted on Twitter and Facebook. Thank you to everyone who re-Tweeted, Favourited, Liked and commented. Much appreciated.

9. Have my photograph taken with the Big Cola girls
Achieved 1/6/14


It appears that the Big Cola Girls are no more. They have been replaced by the BKK Battery Girls. Therefore, it was to one of the latter group that I sidled up to last night and coyly asked for a photo. She was more than happy to oblige - it must have been my charm, or Ramones t-shirt* - and eagerly rounded up her three friends to join us in a pose. The job's a good 'un - as they say.

*It's more likely that they're contractually obliged to pose for photos with anyone who asks. Oh well...

10. Take an “inflatable” to a match
Achieved 8/6/14


I bought my inflatable shark - cost B250 - from a stall at the side of the road on the Chonburi by-pass, en route to yesterday's match. Luckily, one of travelling companions cried off at the last minute so there was room for it in the car. I got a few funny looks as I carried it into the stadium but it was worth it to see "Sharky" being bounced around the away end before kick off. Truth be told - it was all downhill on the entertainment front after that.

11. Organise a fan huddle prior to kick off
Achieved 29/6/14


Unfortunately, some of the "huddlers" were late so we weren't able to do it prior to kick off. However, we all assumed the position just before going back into the ground for the start of the second half. I not at liberty to say what was discussed but it obviously had the desired affect, as it inspired us to inspire the boys to their second victory in four days. I'm now considering making this a weekly ritual. Huddling is great and should be done at every opportunity. I'm surprised we don't see more of it in Thai football.

12. Wave a homemade “Hello Mum” sign at an away match
Achieved 5/7/14


I made a slight alteration here. I changed it from "Hello Mum" to "Hello Nui" - Nui being my wife. Nothing against my dear old mother but I knew that my other half would be sitting at home watching on TV and there was more chance of her seeing it. She was. She didn't. I bought the paper, marker pen and string from the B2S store next to the stadium and scrawled my message just prior to entering the ground. For a variety of reasons, I didn't get around to putting the sign up until half time - which meant that it was at the wrong end when we were attacking after the break. However, it can clearly be seen (if you know where to look) when Ratchaburi sally forth in the second half. I had actually studied the highlights from the League Cup tie a few weeks ago, so I knew exactly where to put the sign for optimum effect. I'm not really sure whether that's something I should be proud of or not!

13. Watch a match for free
Achieved 20/7/14


This happened more by accident than design but I'll take it. I had arranged to interview the Bangkok Glass chairman prior to our fixture at the Leo Stadium. After spending a delightful and enlightening hour in his company (the results of our chat will be posted at the weekend), his PA produced two VIP tickets for me and my companion. We graciously accepted, and she accompanied us to our seats in the main stand, three rows behind the home team's dugout.

14. Sit in the home end at an away match
Achieved 20/7/14


Thanks to our VIP tickets, I managed to kill two birds with one stone here. We had a great view in the posh seats but we were sitting right in the middle of the home team's dignitaries and just behind the Bangkok Glass Ladies Volleyball Team. Therefore, the occasion demanded that we needed to be on our best behaviour. I had intended going in the home end at this match anyway - the third tier behind the goal - but, in the end, I was grateful that I didn't have to climb all those steps. I must admit, I felt a little uncomfortable where I was - and it was painful not to be in amongst the massed ranks of the travelling Chonburi fans as they celebrated - but I did get a certain amount of satisfaction at the locals' reaction to the result.

15. Sit in the away end at a home match
Achieved 2/8/14


Last Saturday I joined the fifty or so Samut Songkhram fans in the away end. I overheard one or two comments as I took my seat at the back of the stand but by and large, they were a friendly bunch. The view wasn't that great but - once the rain had stopped - it was a lot cooler in the open air than my usual seat high up in the main stand.

I managed to keep my emotions in check as the goals started to go in but I had to smile when the visiting fans started up a defiant chant of "Muang Thong. Buriram" in response to the taunting of the home fans following the third.

As long term visitors to this site know, I do have issues with Samut Songkhram's pitch and lethal stands but I genuinely felt for these fans at the weekend. They are all aware of their fate - and the shabby way the club has been run - but they still got behind their team and appeared to make the most of a desperate situation. They deserve better.

16. Bake a Chonburi themed cake
Achieved 26/9/14


OK. Confession time. I didn't actually bake the cake pictured above. It was by ordered by my wife from a local bakery for my birthday party last Friday. However, I'm still going to count it, as I doubt my efforts would even come close. Lovely light sponge, creamy filling and - best of all - decorated with the traditional Chonburi FC badge. Yummy!

17. Have my face painted
Achieved 19/10/14


OK, I'll admit, compared to the chap on the right (as far as I'm aware, he's not a Chonburi fan but just some random bloke off the internet), mine was a pretty poor effort. But, it still counts. I'd actually been carrying the facepaint around with me for a while before I finally plucked up the courage to apply it for last night's match against Sisaket. 17 down, 13 to go. I'd better get cracking!

18. Bang one of the fan club drums and/or stand on the cheerleader's podium
Achieved 22/10/14


Move over John "Stumpy" Pepys, Eric Childs, Peter "James" Bond and Mick Shrimpton, there's a new kid on the block. By pure luck, the (self proclaimed) official fan club drummer set up right behind where I was sitting at last night's match against Osotspa. So I took the opportunity to ask him if I could have a go. Fortunately, he was more than happy to let me put sticks to the skins as Chonburi took a corner. The corner came to nought but my beat brought the fans to their feet.

19. Start a “Mexican Wave”
Achieved 26/10/14


Ever the pessimist, I waited until we were 4-1 up in the fourth minute of injury time before I started my "Wave". The fans on the opposite side of the ground had initiated a couple when we were only 3-1 up - are these people mad!? Even though Bangkok Utd scored before my "Wave" had managed to get a few yards along the main stand, it was still satisfying to see other fans joining in.

20. Go to a match in fancy dress
Achieved 2/11/14


I must admit, Fancy Dress is not really my thing. I've always hated the idea of dressing up as someone or something else just to be wacky. So, I was dreading this one - hence the reason I left it so late! However, three days before the final round of league matches a certain linesman raised his flag to deny Chonburi a last gasp winner and the best opportunity we've had in years of winning the title. After my initial anger had subsided, I felt the only way to get "closure" was to dress up as our nemesis. Therefore, here I am at Sunday's match as Suchart Fangmala - The Official From Hell!

21. Smuggle a can of beer into a home match
Achieved (Classified)


At some point over the course of the season, I smuggled a can of Chang into the Chonburi Stadium. I can't say when and I can't say how. The photo at the top of the page should be proof enough. Thank you.

22. Take a photo of my dog wearing a Chonburi shirt and Tweet the result
Achieved 7/12/14
It's always easy getting my dog Stitch (named after the legendary former Oldham Athletic player Andy Ritchie) to pose for photographs so this was a breeze. He didn't even flinch when I put the shirt on him. Although he prefers the striped one from 2013. I Tweeted the photo at 2:45pm on Sunday 7th December. Thank you to everyone who Retweeted or Favourited.

23. Go to a match on the train
Achieved: 17/12/14


Sadly, the gods of the railway timetable conspired against me in my original plan - Go to an AWAY match on the train - but, thanks to a mid December midweek friendly, I was able to travel by rail to one fixture in 2014.

The lovely cool weather we are currently experiencing meant I had a delightful twenty minute walk from my house to the station in SriRacha. On arrival, I paid for my ticket and sat down on the neat and tidy platform to wait for the train. Fifteen minutes later I was sitting in a well populated carriage on my way to Chonburi. The time and the countryside went by at a pleasant pace and soon I was at my destination, where my mate Brian was on hand to take me to the ground.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable way to travel to a game and I'll certainly be doing it again next season - hopefully to an away match. And at just B5 for a ticket (oh yes!) it has to be the best value for money ever.

24. Start a “Safe Standing” campaign
Achieved 28/12/14
I must admit, I wasn't really sure what I was going to do with this one. The issue of "Safe Standing" isn't really as big in Thailand as it is back in England. However, with the help of a few of our regular Tap Room contributors, we managed to raise some interesting points about our experiences in Thai football grounds and how they could be improved.

I also made this topic the subject of one of my polls (see photo) and found that 68% of those who voted preferred all seater stadiums and the other 32% would like to have the option to stand.

You can read what people in the Tap Room had to say about Safe Standing HERE.

Thank you to everyone who contributed in the Tap Room and all who voted in the the poll.

25. Release some website related merchandise
Achieved 3/1/15


The first batch of website merchandise - these Punk Rock inspired coffee or tea mugs - were officially released on Saturday 3rd January, 2015. I had hoped to have them out in time for Christmas but was thwarted by a hold up at the manufacturers. However, they are now on sale - B250 plus p&p - while stocks last.

Please note: These items are 100% unofficial and have no connection to Chonburi FC.

TO DO
Get a Chonburi FC tattoo - Failed
Produce an old skool photocopied Chonburi fanzine - Failed
Dye my hair blue for one of the “big” matches - Failed
Write and record a Chonburi FC tribute song - Failed
Paint one of my Subbuteo teams in Chonburi colours - Failed

No comments:

Post a Comment