Wednesday 12 February 2020

NEW! My Season Preview: 2020

Here's my season preview for 2020


What have been your impressions of our pre season performances?
For the first time ever, I haven't seen a single pre season match, or really been following the stories coming out of the club, so I can't really comment on this. The trip to China was obviously a farce and very badly handled. It was pretty obvious to anyone with any sense that it should have been called off as soon as the news came out. It was ridiculous to put all the players and staff through that unecessary travel and emotional stress.


What are your expectations for the season ahead?
Year on year, my expectations get lower and lower. Therefore, I would consider a 7th place finish to be a major success. After all, this is what the management seem to be targetting. I really fear that we could be on the receiving end of a few more tonkings this season. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw a repeat of 2019's impressive feat of getting dumped out of both cups in the first round by lower league opposition.


What are your thoughts on our opening match against new boys, Rayong?
Is it too early to call this a relegation six pointer? Seriously, I hope we can be entertained and given some idea of how the team is likely to perform this year. We need something to cling to. Anything! Opening matches are generally hard to call, but I expect that our opponents will have a point or two to prove on Sunday and want to get their first top flight season off to a winning start. I only hope that we can match their desire and go that little bit further.


What do you make of our new signings?
Chonburi's transfer policy is absolutely bizarre. I genuinely have no idea what they're doing, and I suspect, neither do they. Boskovic could prove to be a good signing, but I'm not really convinced that he's the type of on field personality we need if things aren't going our way - which could be most weeks. It's nice to have Adul back (again!), but can he still perform at the necessary level week in, week out? Let's hope so. It would be a shame if his legacy was tainted by this move.


And what about the players we've let go?
I don't think we'll miss any of them. In fact, I genuinely can't remember who has been released!


Which players will have the most impact this season?
I'm not sure about impact, but I expect Sinthaweechai will be the busiest. He'll certainly need to be at his best, as there's absolutely no back up worth speaking of. I hope he's still up to the task.


If you could re-sign one more former Chonburi player (but at the peak of his powers), who would it be?
My heart says Thiago Cunha. Oh, how we all miss him, the mad genius. However, my head says Therdsak Chaiman. He oozed class during his time with us and never, ever let us down. We really need his talent, guile and inspiration right now. I've been watching some old videos recently and he really was head and shoulders above anyone else out on the pitch, domestically and in AFC competitions.


If you could give Sasom one piece of advice, what would it be?
Make sure your lawnmower and hosepipe are in good order. I have a feeling that you might be using them rather a lot in a few weeks time.


Which home games are you most looking forward to?
This Sunday's match against Rayong. It's sure to be an emotional occasion and I'm genuinely excited about it.


And which away games are you most looking forward to?
I'm not sure how many away games I'll get to this year so I'll have to say, the next one.


What do you think of the new kits?
I'm not really a fan of the home kit. I prefer us in stripes. The two "away" kits are OK though. They're nothing special, but look fine as second (and third) choice strips.


What would you do to improve the match day experience at Chonburi Stadium?
I'd remove all the po-faced, jobsworth security staff and replace them with friendlier types who support the club and understand football and the fans. This has become something of an issue over the past couple of years and needs to be addressed. And, a season preview wouldn't be a season preview without me mentioning the ridiculous food and drinks ban - now entering its 9th great year! It's almost as if the club's senior management thinks that the heady mix of fried rice, water and twenty two men kicking a bag of wind around will turn us all into raving lunatics. It won't!


If you could smuggle one item of food and one drink into the ground, what would they be?
My plan is to smuggle a whole load of food and drink into the stadium this Sunday. I'll be happy to share it too, so, if you're sitting near me, please come and say hello. Although, you'll need to bring your own cups, plates and cutlery.


What would you choose for Chonburi's run out music?
Given the age of many of the squad, I'm tempted to say the Dad's Army theme, or 'Help!' by The Beatles (because we'll need it!), but I'm going to plump for The Libertines and 'Fury of Chonburi' - again! Why is no-one from the club listening to me?!


You are in a hot air balloon with Boskovic, Leesaw and Sasom. One of you has to jump out to save the rest. Who would you choose to throw out, or would you jump yourself, for the good of the team?
I'm scared of heights, so I would never be in a hot air balloon with anyone! Therefore, those three are all saved, and I'm nice and cosy on the ground, eating cheese sandwiches, drinking Chang, listening to Mouldy Old Dough and ensuring the team is OK.


Chonburi can do the double over Buriram Utd, Muang Thong Utd and Chiang Rai Utd, but lose all the other games and get relegated. Or, they could lose those six matches and finish in the top five. Which scenario would you choose?
The top five is well out of our reach and I honestly can't see us gaining a single point against any of those clubs. Can I take no points and anything from 13th to 7th as our finishing spot?

No comments:

Post a Comment