Sunday 22 March 2020

Interview With Dan Bennett: 2011

Interview With Dan Bennett
21st January, 2011



In January, 2011, I caught up with experienced Singapore Armed Forces, and national team, defender, Dan Bennett and asked him a few questions ahead of our friendly against his side. You can read the results of our chat below.

Q - Please could you tell us a little about your background and playing career.
A – I was brought up in Singapore so my footballing education was pretty much all here. As a schoolboy, I played semi professional football for Tiong Bahru before going to Loughborough University in England. Not knowing what to do after uni, I was fortunate enough to get a call from my previous coach Sivaji at Balestier. I signed for 5 months, thinking I would soon get a 'proper' job. I never did! Balestier led to Tanjong Pagar, Wrexham, SAFFC, Woodlands and the Singapore national team. Now I am 33! I can't believe it!

Q - What have been the highlights of your career so far?
A - Playing for Wrexham in the English League1 and winning promotion. Also,the Suzuki Cup successes and playing against the best clubs and national teams in Asia.

Q - Who do you consider to be the best players you've played with during your career? 
A - Djamel Achouri the former Auxerre player, Essa Basile a Cameroon youth international, Brian Carey, Darren Ferguson, Therdask Chaiman, Lee Trundle and Park Tae Won.

Q - And the best you've played against?
A - Ryan Giggs.

Q – Who do you consider to be the best coach you've played under?
A - Radojko Avramovic, the Singapore national coach.

Q - What are your ambitions for the immediate future?
A - To regain the S League championship with SAFFC. The rest is a secret.

Q- Hopefully you still have a few years left as a player but have you given any thought to what you'd like to do when you finally retire? 
A - I didn't know eleven years ago and I’m still thinking! But I’m open to suggestions, if anyone has any ideas!

Q - What do you know about the current Chonburi squad? 
A – I’m aware of Therdsak Chaiman and the national centre back Chonlatit Jantakam.

Q - Other than Therdsak, which of our players have impressed you the most? 
A - Can I tell you after the game? I really am intrigued to know more about the Thai league and teams so I’m really looking forward to the game.

Q - You spent some time with Therdsak at SAFFC, what do you consider his best qualities to be? 
A - He has everything, apart from height perhaps! He has the technique, passing, shooting, vision and a competitiveness that has seen him win just about everything he could have done. But his best quality is his good looks!!

Q - What was he like to play alongside? 
A - He gave the team confidence and controlled the tempo of games. And you always had belief he would do something special and win games for you.

Q - Sunday's match is only a "friendly" but how seriously will SAFFC be taking things? 
A - It's getting closer to the start of the season so it's important the team starts to play well as a unit. And we don't like losing.

Q - What sort of game are you expecting?
A - Thai teams always keep the ball exceptionally well so I expect Chonburi to have more possession. The first half will be tight but I expect the game to open up in the second half and there will be a few goals for sure.

Q - Which of your players should we look out for? 
A – Our new striker from Croatia. He played in the European Champions League for Zilina.

Q - Anything else you'd like to add?
A - I'm injured so I’ll see you in the stands, mate!!

Q – Thanks Dan.
A - Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment