Wednesday 18 March 2020

Interview With Russ John: 2015

In April, 2015, five Chonburi fans had the opportunity to fire some questions at Swat Cat supporter, Russ John. Here's how it went down!



Name: Russ John
Team supported: Nakhon Ratchasima

Tim Spear
When did you start to support Nakhon Ratchasima?
Answer; 2010, my good friend Paul Hewitt posted on a local forum to ask if anyone was interested in joining him at the matches. I joined him and have been attending matches ever since.

What do you drink before a game? And after?
Answer; not really a big drinker so arrive at matches sober!! After the match I treat myself to a couple of Leos and steak and chips at “Save one market”.

Where do you usually sit/stand at home games and away games?
Answer; I used to sit at the scoreboard end but recently migrated to the main stand (around halfway) to get away from the noise of the bands!!! I have only attended a couple of away games – usually sit with the Swatcat diehards.



Kevin Aamlid
Which one of your players would pound for pound be the best boxer?
Answer; without a doubt our best scrapper would be Lee Tuck. He looks well hard standing still!!!

Thailand is a great country with many beautiful cities and football teams, so my next question is how did you end up supporting Nakhon Ratchasima?
Answer; I live in the mountains near Si Khui so NRFC is my local team - 50km drive to stadium but worth it

If you could go for a drink with any two Chonburi FC players and any two Nakhon Ratchasima players, who would they be and why?
Answer; Noah Chivuta seems a highly intelligent and thoughtful chap and I think Lee Tuck might be a laugh. Both speak English as well so that helps.

Sorry but my limited knowledge of Chonburi player’s personalities does not allow me to make relevant comment but I think Thiago Cunha could be an interesting character. Pipob always strikes me as being a very pleasant human being.




Mark Taylor
Do you think the 2007 SEA games promotion of both football and the exposure of excellent facilities contributed to the Swat Cats massive fan base? Or has the increase in attendances been more linked to the recent relative success of the club?
Answer; Great question and one which I often ask myself. I think the SEA games and facilities have had negligible effect. Success has helped but I would like to think that Korat’s population, as arguably the second largest in Thailand and Nahkon Ratchasima being such a massive province, has simply responded positively to an up and coming local team with high aspirations and ambition.

Do you pray to Yamo before big games?
Answer; coincidentally my home town of Wolverhampton in the UK also has a warrior queen as one of its founding fathers (mothers) – Wulfruna. A statue of her sits on the steps of St Peter’s Church in Wolverhampton so of course both warrior queens are in my mind – praying to Yamo? “fraid not!!!



Pat Hillen
Today is April Fools Day. Who would you most like to play a trick on and why?
Answer; Errr...theSwatcat fans. I’d like to post that The Swatcats were interested in signing Wayne Rooney (after the debacle of NRFC announcing they were interested in signing Thierry Henri).

Which English team do you follow?
Answer; Wolverhampton Wanderers - A lifetime fan, being a resident of Wolverhampton. In my early teens, due to financial constraints it was either watch Wolves Speedway matches or off to the Molineux for the football. Unfortunately, due to my age, I missed the halcyon days of the fifties when Wolves were touted as the best team in the world but I did witness a Uefa Cup Final loss to Spurs and 2 League cup wins. Heroes were“The Doog” and John Richards and in later years “Bully”.

Where will Chonburi finish at the end of the season?
Answer; In sixth place unless they can improve on current form.



Dale Farrington
Do you prefer the old name (Stingray) and badge or the new Swat Cats ones?
Answer; I’m OK with the Swatcats name and badge – wasn’t a supporter during the “Stingray” days. One thing that does gall me however.The use of singular “Swatcat” instead of the more grammatically correct plural “Swatcats”. After all I don’t support “the Wolf” and Derby fans don’t support “the Ram”. I don’t suppose that it will change any day soon so we’re stuck with it.

How many fans do you think you’ll bring on Sunday?
Answer; 300-500. We usually have pretty good away support. Some may double up with a seaside visit to Bang Saen!!

Nakhon Ratchasima FC is best summed up by which sit com?
Answer; Some may argue that The Swatcats are run like Fawlty Towers so Fawlty Towers it is.

Which matches are you most looking forward to this season and why?
Answer; Deffo Buriram home and away (although we will get hammered both times!!!). Why? Neigbouring provinces so a local Derby and I feel that there is a common bond between the two sides – both have massive support, both are ambitious and both are keen to show what Isaan has to offer to the TPL.

What is your usual pre match meal?
Answer; I really like those curly wurley thingies made out of potato. Alloi!!!

Would you care to make a score prediction?
Answer; 2-2

Anything else you’d like to add?
I hope it’s a good, entertaining game. Watch out for Adeyeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment