Sunday 29 March 2020

Jason Withe On Pipob On-Mo: 2017

Jason Withe On Pipob On-Mo
30th January, 2017



Q- Please can you start by giving us a bit of background about your time at BEC Tero.
A- I signed for the club in 1999 as player/head coach, with the remit of winning the league. In the first season we missed out on the title on goal difference. During the second season, I concentrated on just being the head coach. I changed our system and we only lost one game all season, easily winning the league and cup in the process. We were also competing in the AFC Champions League, where we finished as quarter finalists. I left in 2002 to become head coach of Home United fc in Singapore. The team that I built at Tero, went on to win the league the following season and become an AFC Champions League finalist.

Q- How did Pipob On-Mo first come onto your radar?
A- We trialled some young up and coming players: Nirut, Rangsan, Peeretat, and Noy, amongst others, and this small striker, Pipob. I had made my mind up that I could develop these players, but the hierarchy was reluctant to sign Pipob, due to his size. However, size didn't come into it for me, I knew his technical ability was good, so I had to be insistent on him signing.

Q- Which other players did you have in the squad at the time?
A- We had a great mix of experience and young players coming through. The stand out players were Dusit and Warrawut who were established national team players, but when I left, I think we had around 10 players with the national team.

Q- How did he compare to these big names of the time?
A- He was a bit of an unknown quantity, but he wanted to prove himself, which was ideal for any coach. He went on to establish himself as a key player.

Q- You say there was some reluctance to you signing him, how did you go about proving the doubters wrong?
A- I had belief in his ability. I put him in the side he was 2nd top scorer. We won the league and cup, so we proved a few people wrong! We had  established strikers at the time in Warrawut Jatapong who were with the national team. I moved Jatapong out wide so I could get Pipob in the side. I think they thought I was mad, but we worked hard in training on the system and the players adapted very well.

Q- What were his strengths when you had him at Tero?
A- He had a great first touch and could turn players very easily. He was quick over 5-10 yards and could get goals. Most importantly, he wanted to learn, so I knew I could develop him.

Q- And which aspects of his game did he have to work on the most?
A- Getting him in the right starting positions to hurt defenders. He had a tendency to drop too deep, to pick up the ball, and I wanted him to get close to defenders. Get the ball into his feet and get defenders turned, which he was brilliant at. I played him up front with Warrawut and I also got them to work more as a partnership rather than as individuals.

Q- What was his attitude like in training?
A- Excellent he wanted to learn, so as a coach, that's exactly the type of player you want. He also had a desire to better himself.

Q- How do you think you helped him the most?
A- I gave him the stage and the belief that he was good enough. Although he had a few setbacks along the way, he proved to everyone that he was good enough.

Q- Which player - past or present - would you most compare him to and why?
A- At the time it was like little and large. Warrawut was around 6ft 3 and Pipob was around 5ft 5, so I compared them to the old Liverpool duo Kevin Keegan and John Toshack.


Q- What did you think he could go on to achieve in his career?
A- Well, in his first season, we won the double and he was still a very young lad with many years in front of him. I knew that if he stayed fit and healthy, and played for the right team, with a coach who played to his strengths, he could keep winning more trophies.

Q- How closely have you followed his post Tero career?
A- Very closely. I tried to sign him for Home United FC, and he was desperate to join me. I tried again when I was at Bangkok Bank FC, but BEC Tero wouldn't let him go.

Q- What has impressed you most about his post Tero career?
A- I think his longevity. He has stayed pretty much at the top of his career, so hats of to him.

Q- How long do you think he can carry on in the top flight?
A- He needs to be sensible. His body isn't the same as it used to be and rest & recovery is essential now. As the old saying goes - if you're good enough, you're old enough. I watched him a few times last season and he seems to play with the same youthfulness.

Q- Do you think he could have achieved more in his career?
A- Well, as I mentioned, I tried signing him when I was head coach of Home United in Singapore. At the time, all the top Thai players went there, as it was the best league in south east Asia, and the pay was better than Thailand. He was desperate to come and prove himself. I know he would have been a great success, but BEC Tero wouldn't let him go at the time. So it would have been interesting had we signed him.

Q- What advice would you give him now?
A- Keep playing as long as your body allows you and you are enjoying it. Every time I see him, he's still got that massive smile on his face, so he must be still enjoying it.

Q- Is there any amusing story you could tell us about him from your time together?
A- I remember we played in - I think it was - Bangladesh, in the AFC Cup Winners Cup. Their centre half kept smashing him and there were a lot of things going on off the ball. The pitch wasn't great and when we tried to play into his feet, the ball was bobbling all over the place. This was great for their centre half, who was nearly double Mo's size. He was also quite happy to take both the ball and Pipob. I could see him getting frustrated, and maybe a little intimidated. At half time, I told him to pull onto the bloke's shoulder and we would get the ball in behind him, to see if this big lump can turn and run, then once you put the ball in the net, just give him a that big smile of yours. He did just that. He got a couple of goals and instead of smiling he gave him the finger!! I pulled him off after that, as I think the big lad was going to break Pipob in two! I think we won 7-0!!

Q- I'm thinking of petitioning Chonburi FC to build a statue of him outside Chonburi Stadium - would you be prepared to support me?
A- Well it wouldn't be very costly, as he's only small !!

Q- Please finish by summing up Pipob On-Mo in five words.
A- Quick, slippery, happy, small, smiley.

No comments:

Post a Comment