Saturday 15 August 2020

Interview With Nat Yisunsri: 2012

My interview with Muang Thong Utd fan, Nat Yisunsri, from May, 2012.


Q - Please can you introduce yourself.
A - My name is Nat Yisunsri, I'm 37 years old and I live in Bangkok. I work as a sales manager for a  chemical manufacturing company.

Q - How long have you been supporting Muang Thong United?
A - I've been supporting Muangthong United since 2008. So, it's over 4 years now.

Q - Why did you start supporting Muang Thong United?
A - I have been following the English Premier League for many years and have supported Liverpool since 1987. Since the Thai Premier League became quite popular with more people going to the match, I decided to find a team to support locally. Muangthong United had just won the Division 1 championship and got promoted to TPL, so I decided to follow them.

Q - Who do you usually go to the match with?
A - I usually go alone, but sometimes my elder son, aged five, wants to come to watch the football with me too. So, we spend a good time together watching football.

Q - Please can you describe your typical matchday routine?
A - Well, I normally arrive one or one and a half hours before the match, having a couple of beers, early dinner and chat with some friends I've met at Muangthong United. I've bought a season ticket, so I don't need to rush to find a ticket for the home games.

Q - What have been the highlights of your time supporting Muang Thong Utd?
A - The highlight would have to be the Thai Premier League win in 2009, since it was the first year I started to follow them. They had just been promoted to the TPL in that year and won the TPL title. It was so amazing.

Q - Why do you think Muang Thong Utd have had so many coaches in such a short space of time?
A - I personally disagree with their decision to change so many coaches, as they have all done a great job winning the league titles - except last season - but still got fired. I hope to see someone  running the team for long time. Anyway, I respect the board’s decision and will support whoever they decide to put in charge of the team.

Q - How have Muang Thong Utd been able to remain successful in spite of having so many coaches?
A - I think that the key players have been playing together for quite sometime so they know each other well. Although there are players in and out each season, the style of play has not been changed. So, there is not so much change when a new coach comes in.


Q - Why do think things didn't work out under Robbie Fowler?
A - Frankly speaking, I believe he did not get so much respect from the team players, as he was initially a player not the coach. With his lack of coaching experience and acting as player/coach, he did not do a pretty good job in coaching the team. Also, in many games during his time, he should have concentrated on coaching instead of playing on the pitch, but he decided to play full games and this wasn’t helping the team to win.

Q - Were you happy to see him go?
A - It was sad to see him leave the club, since I am a Liverpool and Muangthong United supporter. He was a legend during his time with Liverpool. He has done pretty well here in promoting our club, and the TPL, to become more publicly known. But for me to see him run the team for another year as the coach, would be a bad news. So, in a way, I am relieved.

Q - How happy are you with the way your club is run?
A - Currently, I am really happy with the club and the team. We are currently at the top of the league. The team play pretty well, and the new players are doing great, especially Mario Djurovski. He has done amazingly well for us, and I would say he is one of the best foreign players in the TPL this season. Another reason is that the board of management allows our coach to run the team and the coaching instead of interfering in these areas.

Q - How do you think things could be improved?
A - We still have some problems with our defence, especially the centre half positions. We have made plenty of mistakes in the past games which have lead to us conceding easy goals. It's getting better, but I’d love to see more improvement.

Q - How do you think Muang Thong United will perform this season?
A - We have done a great job so far. I am pretty sure that we are on the path for the league title, although many other teams are doing well and getting stronger: BEC-Tero, Bangkok Glass and Chonburi FC.

Q - Do you think not being in the AFC Cup gives you an advantage in the TPL?
A - Definitely. We have more time to rest and not so many games to play. We have more time to practice and adjust our game. Our players are not too tired and have become more fit. But I still hope to see them play in the AFC Champions League next season.

Q - Which Muang Thong Utd players have impressed you this season?
A - I have no hesitation to say it's Mario Djurovski. He has impressed us all. I am sure we all agree on the quality of play he has shown so far.

Q - How do you think your coach has performed so far this season?
A - Slavisa Jokanovic is a great coach, His coaching and tactics have proved to us that he is good. Although he seems to be a bit quiet during the game.


Q - Who do you consider to be your closest rivals and why?
A - A very tough question. Many teams are doing well this season, but BEC-Tero seems to be a really strong rival, with Cleiton Silva up front scoring many goals. It will be really close for the title challenge this season.

Q - Do you support the other Thai clubs in AFC competition?
A - I support both Chonburi FC & Buriram United, since both clubs represent Thai Football in the AFC competition. I have no hesitation to support both teams when they play in the AFC matches. But now Buriram United is out of the AFC Champions League, I wish Chonburi FC will do well. You've got my support.

Q - What do you think about Chonburi FC?
A - Chonburi FC has always been a strong team in the TPL, with great players and a great style of play. Whitaya is a great coach. It's always good to watch them play. Chonburi FC fans are great, really great to see them cheering for their team They are one of the best sets of supporters in the TPL - apart from Muangthong United of course!

Q - Who do you think is Chonburi's best player?
A - I would say Therdsak Chaiman. Despite his age, he still plays very well and creates good chances for the team. He is also a good example for footballers on and off the pitch. I hope all Thai players learn from him.

Q - What kind of match are you expecting on Sunday?
A - Definitely an intense game. Chonburi are really strong in defence and pressing in the midfield. It will be a really close match. I'm sure there will not be lots of chances to score goals. It's a matter of how well both teams create goal scoring chances and score goals.

Q - What will the atmosphere be like inside and outside the stadium?
A - Tickets are already sold out. There will be more than 20,000 fans in the stadium. This will be another great match to watch, with crowds cheering for both teams. I am sure the atmosphere will be just like watching an English Premier League game.

Q - Would you care to give a score prediction?
A - 1:0 to Muangthong United - if this is not to offensive to you!

Q - Anything else you'd like to add?
A - I expect to see a great game this Sunday. Fair play from both teams, and friendly cheering as always.

Q - Thank you, Nat.
A - You're welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment