Saturday 15 August 2020

NEW!! The List: 2020/21

THE LIST 2020/21



With the league resumption just around the corner, I have compiled my annual list of things that I will endeavour to do throughout the season. As circumstances are very different this year - both globally and personally - I've reduced the number from thirty to twenty and have adapted my targets accordingly.

I will be keeping you up to date with my progress (or otherwise) over the course of the 2020/21 campaign,

Here's The List:

To Do
Order some Chonburi merchandise online
Wear my Chonburi shirt at an English league or cup match
Visit a ground on a non match day
Chat "live" online with someone who is at a Chonburi match
Meet up with another Thai football fan
Write a Chonburi FC comic strip
Create some Chonburi graffiti
Watch a match online with someone who has never seen Thai football before
Wear my Chonburi shirt to visit a famous UK landmark
Avoid hearing a match result and watch a recording of the full game later
Get someone to write a guest match report
Produce a website related unofficial Chonburi FC t-shirt
Recreate an iconic lp sleeve using Chonburi FC imagery
Play a game of football in a Thai football shirt
Share any Chonburi related dream I have
Write and record a Chonburi FC song
Put a Chonburi FC sticker on my car
Add English commentary to a video of match highlights
Eat Thai food and drink Chang beer at an English league or cup match
Go to a Chonburi match

Done
11. Wear my Chonburi shirt to visit a famous UK landmark
Achieved 20/8/21


I've always loved Morecambe. From childhood visits with my family to "ironic" trips there whilst in my 20s, it's somewhere I've always tried to go whenever I've had the chance. Therefore, when an opportunity presented itself recently, I jumped at it! It was lovely to see the old place again and I am pleased to report it was looking lovely and very busy. Even though much of it still appears "tatty" it has obviously enjoyed a bit of a renaissance since I was last there, twenty years ago. And is all the better for it. Naturally, I had fish and chips, and a pint, and then went to pay homage to the town's most famous son, and one of my all time heroes. He seemed as happy to see me and I was to see him. Bless you, Eric.


10. Share any Chonburi related dream I have
Achieved 5/6/21-6/6/21



Chonburi were hosting Police Tero in a crucial end of season fixture. The game was being played behind closed doors at Assumption College, Sriracha. However, as I was living on the campus, I was able to watch the action from my flat, high up behind one of the goals. The surface wasn't grass, but a full size tarmac playground pitch. It was raining.

When I "joined" the proceedings, we were losing 1-0, and attacking the far end. Two of the Police Tero back four were dressed in their motorbike cop uniforms and one of them was slightly overweight. I was screaming at our centre forward (Eliandro?) to take them on, but he was reluctant to do so. Eventually, he followed my advice, but blazed high and wide, with only the keeper to beat.

Meanwhile, I was scrolling through Twitter and saw a post by an Indian football fan. He had uploaded a photo of himself with five Chonburi shirts, including a rare one from 2002. I complimented him on his collection - especially the Pro League version. I asked him if he had this season's kit and a pair of boots because we could do with him playing in the current match. I woke up before I received his reply.



9. Create some Chonburi graffiti
Achieved 9/1/21


OK, so there are those of you who will argue that writing "Chonburi FC" in the snow doesn't count as graffiti, and, I have to say, I probably agree with you. However, as it's been over 25 years since I've had the opportunity to do this, I make no apologies. Besides, I couldn't resist and derived a great deal of pleasure from my rather innocent actions.

Also, due to the proliferation of CCTV cameras in my area, I decided that it would be the safest option. This way, anyone studying the tapes from the evening of January 9th, 2021, would see some harmless weirdo using an umbrella, and then his finger, to scrawl the name of his favourite football team in the pristine white carpet, and not some vandal with a spray can of paint. 

I'm 57 years old...


8. Order some Chonburi merchandise online
Achieved 19/12/20


After my initial plan to buy this season's Nike replica white shirt - a thing of beauty - fell through due to availability issues - there are no fat boy sizes left! - I settled on the next best thing, a "Fan Cheer" shirt from Shopee. 

Setting up an account was a breeze and I soon found exactly what I was looking for - a blue 3XL. All the forms were straightfoward enough and in no time at all I was ready to hit the "Purchase" button. However, this is when my problems began. I had to enter another code, which they sent to my wife's mobile phone, in order to place my...erm...order. I duly followed the instructions, but was then logged out of the site and unable to log back in. I tried a few more times, before giving up, exasperated.

The next day, I went through the whole process again, only to fall once more at the final hurdle, when, for some reason, it refused to recognise my card. Foiled! Or so I thought. It was a this point that I noticed a "Cash on Delivery" option. I duly clicked on the link and - hey presto! - everything was confirmed. Twenty four hours later, the postman delivered my goods, my mother in law handed over the THB424 and I am now the proud owner of the garment you see pictured above. It was well worth the effort.




7. Eat Thai food and drink Chang beer at an English league or cup match
Achieved 24/10/20


Northern Premier League Division One - North West
Kendal Town 2-3 Runcorn Linnets
Parkside Rd, Kendal
Saturday 24th October, 2020

Yesterday had a really nostalgic feel to it. It was cold and wet, and pre match I wandered around town scouring the record shops (well, one record shop and a few charity shops), before making the twenty minute walk to the ground. I handed over my GBP9 admission fee, GBP2 for a programme and found myself a place at the back of the stand behind the goal. The was some cover so I figured I'd be OK if the rain persisted - how wrong I was!

The game itself was very entertaining. No fanfare, no huddles, no stoppages for injuries (real or perceived), just two teams - numbered 1-11 - going hell for leather to win, on a seriously muddy pitch. In the end, the visitors ran out worthy 3-2 winners and "celebrated" by wandering over to their bench as if they were off to catch the bus to work. No lap of honour, no sereneding, no posing for a group photo in front of the travelling support (who had hotfooted it to the bar at the final whistle, anyway). Result aside, it all gave me a nice warm glow.

As I trudged wearily back home reflecting on the previous ninety minutes, there was to be one last reminder of my younger days. I stopped outside a shop and peered through the window to watch the results from the day's league matches on a soundless tv. Perfect. The whole experience had been a real throwback and a reminder of how football used to be when I was young.

However, there was one big difference that set this day apart from those of my youth. Instead of the standard fare of a cup of Bovril, a meat and potato pie and a wagon wheel, my match time snack - courtesy of the excellent Thai Kitchen - was moo ping, sticky rice and a couple of cans of Chang. It was the ideal fusion of my two football worlds. Now, if only the Thai league would import some of the more positive aspects of the English non league.






6. Visit a ground on a non match day
Achieved 22/10/20



During a recent visit to see my mum and dad, I took the opportunity to pop down the road to the Pirelli Stadium, the home of Burton Albion. Even though I'd been to The Brewers' previous abode, the gloriously ramshackle Eton Park, on many occasions - and even played there a few times - this was my first trip to their new ground. And I was very impressed.

It's a tidy, compact stadium on the edge of town (not far from where I used to work) and clearly plays a big role in the local community. On the day I visited there was a midwifery meeting in progress, a lively toddler group and the main car park was being used to train young motorcyclists. What wonderful examples of how a club should use its facilities on non match days.

The lady in the shop was welcoming, friendly and helpful, and had no problems letting me wander around to take some photographs. She was even good enough to grab this snap of me!


As I follow the fortunes of the Albion quite closely, I have long been aware of the kind of club they are and the services they offer outside of football. However, seeing things first hand, really emphasised what a wonderful job they do locally, especially in these difficult times. There are many Thai clubs (and others in England!) who could learn a lot from a visit to this part of south east Staffordshire, should they feel the need to see how to do things properly. They might even get an insight into how to achieve success on the pitch too. I'd be more than happy to help set the wheels in motion.



You can see more photos from my trip to the Pirelli Stadium here


5. Get someone to write a guest match report
Achieved 5/10/20

Not Russ, but Val enjoying a beer inside Chonburi Stadium

Last Wednesday, I received this message from my good friend, Russ:

"Hi Dale, re your "to do list". I am happy to do a guest report on a Sharks match - based on me watching the match on TV."

Today, this was waiting for me in my inbox:

Dateline: 4th October, 2020
Chonburi 1-0 Bangkok Utd
Attendance: 2,147

An upbeat Sharks outfit took on championship contenders Bangkok United at the Chonburi Stadium,

Luckily, the Chonburi management had the foresight to put a shilling in the electricity meter allowing the game to commence with fully functioning floodlights. The crowd noise was drowned out by the sound of chomping of nam tok moo (with a side of sticky rice) and slurping of beer following the club’s decision to allow food and drink into the ground.

The Sharks opened brightly and before you could say pass me another Chang and some barbecued pork kebabs, up popped old man Bosco to hammer home to give the Sharks an early lead. 

The game descended into a midfield ping pong battle but with Caion marauding, the Sharks looked dangerous and with the Angel wing backs complaining about the smell of roasted chillies and inquiring of the crowd if any sandwiches were available, the flanks looked dangerously exposed.

In a half bereft of chances, it was 31 minutes before there was further significant goalmouth action when Bosco failed to convert a smart Kroekrit cross, then his crafty ,outside of the boot, cross caused chaos in the Angels defence. There was a VAR check for a penalty but officials in the VAR room were caught having a snack and claimed not to have seen the incident.

The ref blew for half time and in a first, he asked the forth official to order a crate of ale and somtan for consumption during the break. 

The second half saw the visitors come out determined to put the Sharks under greater pressure but it took them until the 59th minute to create a real chance when a fine shot thundered against the angle of the goal frame.

In a game destined to have fewer than five real chances, Bangkok continued to press, with the Sharks defence coping remarkably well. The rangy Caion continued to torment, setting up a chance for Boscovic whose shot was inches wide, then minutes later fluffing his shot when he was clear and in on goal.

At the other end, Brenner had the ball in the net in the 75th minute  but a VAR review ruled him offside. 

In late game drama, after a fine solo run from Caion, Boscovic flashed his low drive just wide of the post, then a VAR review for a Bangkok penalty turned down their claim and the Sharks survived to claim the three points,

A well deserved victory tonight and an excellent start to the season sees the Sharks sitting proudly in third place. Caion and Boscovic look like a formidable duo up front and will test many defences this season.

Russ John




4. Wear my Chonburi shirt at an English league or cup match
Achieved 29/9/20


Due to work, family commitments and a pandemic, I hadn't been to a football match for over 7 months. Easily the longest period in my life without seeing a live game. However, this was put right with my visit to Parkside Road to watch Kendal Town entertain City of Liverpool FC, in the Northern Premier League Division One North West, last night. 

And what a joy it was. A thoroughly entertaining 75 minutes - I missed the opening quarter of an hour due to my employers insisting I complete my shift - and I felt a genuine delight at returning to the terraces. 

It's been 30 years since I was last on this ground and nothing has changed, apart from the name of the home side - they were Netherfield back then - and it really did feel like coming home. 

Everything about the evening was perfect; friendly fans and staff, home and away supporters mixing happily, two teams going hammer and tongs, no fannying about, huddles or feigning injuries, a couple of punch ups, a ref who let a lot go, a great goal, the right result - Kendal won 1-0 - and being able to enjoy a couple of beers in my seat. 

I really love Thai football, for many reasons, but it was nice to be back watching some "proper" stuff again. Oh, and my shirt - which was one of three (!) layers I was wearing - attracted a few favourable comments too. 

I'll definitely be back for more. Mintcakes Su Su!



3. Avoid hearing a match result and watch a recording of the full game later
Acheived 20/9/20


A long Sunday shift at work was all I needed to help me achieve this. After logging off from Twitter and switching off my tablet five minutes before kick off, I knew there was absolutely no way I'd hear the result of the Prachup match. And I was right. I didn't need to hide in a church, go to a fancy hairdressers or avoid Brian Glover, and there was zero chance I'd see any "Chonburi F..." style headline outside a local newsagents. 

Funnily enough - and probably because I was busy - I wasn't even curious to learn what was going on during the game, therefore, after work, I went home via the chippy and the off licence and settled down to watch the rerun courtesy of HD Prime and the True Money codes my wife had sent me, totally oblivious to what had happened a couple of hours previously. And that was as good as it got. The match itself wasn't very entertaining - mainly due to the awful conditions - and was completely ruined by VAR. Oh, and we lost. Still, the pie, chips, curry sauce and beer were nice.



2. Chat "live" online with someone who is at a Chonburi match
Acheived 13/9/20

My live chat with Tim Spear, during the Chonburi v Trat match.
5:53
Tim:



5:58
Tim: Away fans social distancing


Me: Ready for kick off


5:59 
Tim: I had the same this morning after a night out. Well needed. Love the mug!

6:01 
Tim: 0-1

6:02 
Tim: First minute. Free kick floated in, free header, no attempt to save.
Me: Groan!

6:04 
Tim: Chonburi playing (Steve) Bruceball

6:05 
Tim: Free kick to us on their goal line. Should be a penalty.

6:06 
Tim: The ref has let them stand over the ball for two minutes. Now a review. Twat!
Me: 55!

6:08
Tim: This is ridiculous.
Me: Sounds like pure comedy.
Tim: Unless you are here. Just not football.
Me: Oh, I'm missing it so much 😃
Tim: We are laughing too!

6:14
Tim: Chonburi pushing now.

6:16
Tim: For the first time ever, we have played on when one of their players was down.
Me: Glad to hear it.

6:24
Tim: 1-1. Failed corner, ball back in, defence all at sea and an open goal from 3m out. No idea who scored.
Me: Yes!

6:26
Tim: Great chance from edge of six yard box. Missed!

6:27
Tim: We're starting to dominate now.

6:28
Tim: Overhead kick by Caion. Just wide. Keeper beaten. Great skill.
Me: Sounds promising.

6:29
Tim: Good play down the left. Unlucky.

6:31
Tim: Free kick swung in. Mayhem! Unfortunately, noone at the edge of the box.

6:32
Tim: Trat now playing Bruceball.

6:33
Tim: Great cross from the left. Missed a sitter! Corner.
Me: We need to score while we're on top.
Tim: Yes.

6:35
Tim: Ball over the top. Just failed to control the header.

6:36
Tim: Trat have a beast of a striker: no.11
Me: Ricardo Santos

6:38
Tim: Kushida doing well. Neat and tidy.

6:39
Tim: Free kick to us. Yellow card for them.

6:41
Tim: Break for two players to sit and have a drink!

6:45
Tim: 2 minutes injury time.

6:46
Tim: Half time
Me: Thanks. Chang for you, cuppa tea for me. Boskovic scored our goal.

7:04
Me: Are they allowing food and drinks inside?
Tim: No

7:06
Tim: Same as first half; 1-2.
Me: Losing?
Tim: Yes
Me: Oh no!

7:17 
Tim: 2-2
Me: Yes!!

7:18 
Tim: Still outside

7:25 
Tim: Still outside

7:26 
Tim: Beer wins. Going for another.
Me: Cheers! I'm on the tea.

7:34 
Tim: Penalty
Me: To us?
Tim: Yes

7:36 
Tim: Get in! 3-2. Caion again!
Me: Yay!!

7:42 
Tim: Beer is good
Me: Are you still outside?!

7:56
Tim: Of course! Fans all streaming out now. Looks like we won, but can't confirm??
Me: We did.
Tim: Ha, ha!



1. Put a Chonburi FC sticker on my car
Achieved 21/8/20



Away we go! I found this sticker in a box of stuff in my parents' loft, thus saving my wife a trip to to Chonburi Stadium to buy a new one and a further excursion to the post office, in order to mail it to me. Therefore, it was a case of peeling it from its backing and attaching it to the rear window. There's not really much else I can say about this so I'll finish by posting a few comments about the car:

"With a mere 90 brake-horse-power available, progress is too leisurely to be called fast, but on the motorway in 5th gear the Megane's slow pace really becomes a pain. Uphill runs become power-sappingly mundane, while overtaking National Express coaches can become a long, drawn-out affair.” 

Not my words, folks. The words of Top Gear magazine.

Previous versions of The List (2014-2018)



No comments:

Post a Comment