Saturday 15 August 2020

NEW!! Adventures In Singapore by Dale Farrington: 2006

Singapore Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg
Balestier Khalsa 1-0 Chonburi
23rd September, 2006


They say, "There's a first time for everything" and there are quite a few "firsts" attached to this semi final second leg. First time I'd flown to a football match, first time I'd followed my team abroad, first time we contested a penalty shootout, first foreign team to qualify for the Singapore Cup final and the first time we were featured on ESPN/Star Sports - which was to become a regular occurence over the next two years.

It was also the first time I slept rough at an airport. I'd done bus stations and railway stations on numerous occasions in the past but, surely, this was a sign I was going up in the world. However, it wasn't as glamorous as it sounds. I didn't get a wink of sleep and spent most of the night sitting in one of the cafes eating junk food. I also remember it being really cold, which didn't really help prepare me for the intense heat we walked around in for most of the following day. I was wearing jeans!

If truth be told, the tie itself was a bit of an anti-climax. We'd done our sight seeing, visited the team at their hotel (see photo), booked into a local hostel - where all twelve of us shared a room! - conducted our interviews for Football Crazy, soaked up the pre match atmosphere in the small stadium, been treated to a beer by Julian Touhig and then sat back in anticipation to enjoy the historic occasion.

Sadly, the team were slightly under par and the final score was a true reflection of the game. Thankfully, we had won the first leg 2-1, earlier in the week and so it went to penalties. And this is when the fun began. I remember it as being extremely tense and there were certainly some travelling fans who couldn't bear to watch, as the drama unfolded on the pitch. Fortunately, the players held their collective nerve and we were able to claim a famous victory in a corner of a foreign field that is forever Chonburi.

After celebrating with the players and the management, we ventured forth to make our way back to the lodgings. Incredibly for a nation that has one of the best public transport systems in the world, there didn't seem to be any buses or trains running and we were stuck. It looked like a second sleepless night lay ahead. This time in the less salubrious surroundings of a bus shelter. Thankfully, a friendly local saw our plight and stopped to help. She was able to book us a couple of taxis to take us all back to our room, much to the relief of a very tired group of football fans.

The next day, after a very comfortable night in the hostel bed and a chat with a bemused Australian backpacker, there was just time for me and my better half to stop off at a restaurant in Little India, for one of the best meals I've ever had. It was the perfect way to end a memorable trip and celebrate my birthday. Especially as my wife ended up giving most of her food to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment