Friday 8 May 2020

Interview With Bang Jae-Won: 2012

My interview with Pohang Steelers fan, Bang Jae-Won, from February, 2012


Q - Please could you start by telling us a bit about yourself.
A - My name is Bang Jae-Won and I currently live in Seoul. I'm a highschool student and a Pohang fan who lives far away from the stadium but when I have enough time, I go to the Steelyard to watch Pohang Steelers play.

Q - How long have you been supporting Pohang Steelers?
A - I started to support the club in early 2009. Fortunately, just right after I started to watch the team they won the AFC Champions League that year. It was an amazing experience and strengthened my affection for the club.

Q - Please could you tell us a bit about your club's history?
A - Pohang was founded in 1973 and has been at the pinnacle of Korean football with such stars as Soon-ho Choi, Myoungbo Hong, Sun-hong Hwang and Dongguk Lee. We've won the K-League four times, the FA Cup twice and have been Asian Champions three times. I can definitely say we are one of the most successful football clubs in Asia. Also, we are proud of that we've got the first football specific stadium in Korea, the Steelyard.

Q - What has been your biggest thrill whilst following your team?
A - There have been many but if I must choose just one then it must be the game against Bunyodkor. It was the quarter final 2nd leg of the 2009 AFC Champions League. We had lost 1-3 in the 1st away leg and had the regular centre-half sent off.

So everybody had little expectations for the 2nd leg but we kept a clean sheet for the first half and had scored  three goals in a great performance. But just before the final whistle, Karpenko of Bunyodkor scored a vital goal to make the total aggregate four each. So the game went to extra time and Stevo(Current Suwon Striker) scored the winner and we played out the rest of the time calmly and proceeded to the semi final. It was really memorable game.

Q - How popular is your team in Korea?
A - As Pohang Steelers is the oldest team in the K-League at the moment, there are fans from different generations. This popularity is proven by the reasonable attendance numbers at the home games, we usually fill out more than half the stadium - which can hold 25,000 people.

Q - What sort of crowds do you get for your home league games?
A - As I mentioned above, it's a popular club nationwide so not only local people but also Pohang fans from the other parts of Korea come to the Steelyard to support the team. Even when we were at our lowest points, we are always behind the team.

Q - What sort of media coverage is the match getting in Korea?
A - Korean Sport media is looking forward to this match because this year the K-League only got 3 spots and 1 play-off spot and not the usual 4 spots for the AFC Champions League group stage. Also, the interest has been increased, as Pohang was the winner of the competition in 2009. It is also important as it is the first game in 2012 AFC CL for any of the K-League teams.

Q - Will the match be shown live on Korean TV?
A - Not on terrestrial TV but definitely on cable TV.

Q - What sort of crowd are you expecting on Saturday?
A - Not only Pohang fans but also other K-League team’s fans will turn out at the stadium because it is the first K-League team’s match in 2012 AFC Champions League.


Q - What will the atmosphere be like inside the ground?
A - It will be sparkling as usual. The fans behind the goal will lead the support of the whole stadium. Of course, you can hardly miss the support from the Marine Corps soldiers who visit the stadium regularly.

Q - What sort of welcome will the small band of travelling Chonburi fans receive from the home supporters?
A - We, Pohang fans, will welcome the Chonburi fans who have made the trip. We all are football fans and that's what counts.

Q - What do you know about Chonburi FC?
A - I know their symbol is a Shark and they have been a really consistent team for many seasons. Last season, I heard they finished 2nd in the league. I still remember when they faced another K-League team Chunnam Dragons in AFC Champions League in 2008.

Q - As red hot favourites, do you think there's any danger you may have underestimated Chonburi FC?
A - I, as a Pohang fan, expect Pohang to win but this is football. We don't know what is going to happen on the field. Particularly as it is only a one legged game - which allows us no mistake at all. I know Chonburi really want to win against Pohang to proceed the next stage, so it's vital to keep ourselves concentrated throughout the whole game.

Q - Do you know if any Pohang scouts have watched Chonburi play recently?
A - I've not heard of any. But I can tell you that this winter, Pohang has strengthened their team and also prepared for this game against Chonburi.

Q- If you go through, realistically how well do you think you'll do in the rest of the competition?
A - Most of our fans are expecting to win the competition but for me, I would be happy if we can reach the semi final. I think it would be a big opportunity to show Asia what we can do because we successfully kept hold of our players in the transfer market and also brought in good attacking players to our squad - it makes me and the other Pohang fans stay positive and have high expectations.

Q - Are there any particular players we should look out for on Saturday?
A - Ianis Zicu. He moved from CSKA Sofia and he has adapted to life in Korea. He has already made a great impression on the Pohang fans aand scored many times in the pre-season matches. Pohang's tradition with Eastern Europeans is really flourishing and this time will be the same I guess.

Q - Would you like to give a score prediction?
A - To be honest, I'm looking forward to see Pohang win by more than 3 goals. Maybe a 3-1 win I guess. I don't want to be appear arrogant but we have prepared well for this match against Chonburi in my opinion.

Q - Is there anything else you'd like to add?
A - Thanks for arranging this interview. It reminds me why I get excited about AFC CL games. I hope you enjoyed this interview. I'm really looking forward to see Chonburi playing in the Steelyard. See you then!



No comments:

Post a Comment