Tuesday 26 May 2020

Interview With Trevor Morgan: 2011

In May, 2011, I interviewed Trevor Morgan, coach of Chonburi's AFC Cup group opponents, East Bengal.

Interview With Trevor Morgan
22nd May, 2011
 
 
Please could you tell us a bit about yourself. 
- I started my professional career at AFC Bournemouth ( two spells) in 1981 and then played for Bristol City, (two spells) Bristol Rovers, Exeter City, (three spells) Clochester United, Mansfield Town and Bolton Wanderers. I also plyed in the old NSL in Australia for St. George Budapest and in Hong Kong for Happy Valley and for South China. 

Coaching wise I was Player Coach at Exeter City and at South China and Assistant Manager/Coach at Birmingham City in what is now the Championship and also at Exeter City I had the same position. I became Head Coach at Sorrento FC in the West Australian State League before becoming Head Coach at the West Australian Institute of Sport, from there I went to Marine Castle in the S league Singapore then to Sarawak in the Malaysian Supa Liga, back to Sengkang Punggol in the Singapore S League before going back to Sorrento in WA. I then went as Reserve Team Coach to Hull City in 2008 in the English Premier League before coming to East Bengal in August 2010 

How did you get the job with East Bengal? 
- I had been in touch with an official of the club for 4-5 years just through the odd e mail now and again, the position became available and I was offered the opportunity to be the Head Coach 

What were your first impressions of Indian football? 
- I had to come with a completely open mind and accept what was there to work with. If I came and expected the facilities or the infrastructure that is on offer in other countries I would have got on the first plane home....so I work with what is available and am trying to change things so we can become a club that will become the best in India 

What do you think the future holds for Indian football? 
- There is no reason why with proper planning and all clubs working together for the better of the game why India cannot look forward to a bright future. 15-20 ytears ago no one would have thought that Japan or South Korea would become powerful footballing nations but with the help of sponsorship, good administrators and everyone working for a common goal they are proof that supposed non footballing nations can become successful in major competitions 

What did you know about the TPL before your first match against Chonburi? 
- I had spoken a bit with Steve Darby and also with a friend who is the Head Coach at BEC Tero, Peter Butler, who both said it was a well run League with good stadiums, good playing surfaces and was well supported by the fans. My general knowledge of it was really that information and I knew little of the players in it apart from a couple of players who had played in Singapore during my time there 

What did you know about Chonburi before you played them? 
- Very little apart from some youtube videos. I went to watch them play v Thai Port in the TPL before we met them in the AFC Cup and was very impressed with their passing, movement and teamplay, plus of course the facilities that are available to them 

What are your impressions of the team? 
- I thought they were a very well organised team full of players that can keep the ball and can hurt you with their short passing game and interchanges when going forward 

Which players particularly impressed you? 
- Therdsak, Pipob and the 2 full backs (Suree Sukha and Anucha Kitpongsri) who join in all the time and are very difficult to pick up as they get into the final third 

What are your impressions of the coaching set up? 
- It looks a very professional set up, Chonburi have far more staff than we do right through from the Head coach to the Academy squads, this is something we have to try to get going in India. 

What were your impressions of the Chonburi stadium and the atmosphere? 
- I thought the fans backed their team all the way and it was a good atmosphere. Some of our games here attract over 100,000 but with a completely different feeling around the stadium 

How far do you think Chonburi can can go in the competition? 
- I dont know the strength of the teams from the middle east but certainly I feel Chonburi are one of the best teams from this way left in the competition, if the draw is kind to them there is no reson why not all the way. 

How do you rate the standard in the AFC Cup? 
- Coming from playing only in the Indian League I found that any mistake made was more likely to be punished by the opposition in our group. We have conceded the least goals in the I League but let in 17 goals in our 6 games in the AFC Cup. We need to be competing regularly against foreign opposition to improve ourselves 

Who is the best team you have seen so far in the competition?
- I have only seen the teams from our group unfortunately so it is a difficult question for me to answer 

Finally, I am also an Oldham fan. Do you have any memories of playing at Boundary Park? 
- I seem to remember playing there in a pre season friendly for Bolton Wanderers around 1989 on the astroturf surface.....I think....in the heat of a Lancashire summer it was around 10 degrees and blowing a gale..... but the pies were excellent ! 

Thank you, Trevor and good luck. 
- Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment