Tuesday 19 May 2020

The List: 2017

At the start of the 2017 season I set myself a target of thirty things that I wanted to do over the course of the year. Here's how I got on...

The List 2017: Thirty Things I Must Do This Season




THE LIST
When I was growing up, it was easy being a football supporter. You'd turn up at the ground, buy a programme, pay at the turnstiles, take your place on the terraces with your mates andwatch the match. You'd have a pie and a cup of Bovril at half time and then trudge home at the final whistle to fish and chips and a mug of tea. Simple.

However, in the modern age, there are so many more distractions at the stadium (especially in Thailand, with its burgeoning domestic football scene). The whole match going experience has changed. It has become an "event" and the fans are photographed and filmed as much as - if not more than - the action taking place on the pitch.

Grounds are surrounded by a riot of colour and noise (as opposed to just a riot - commonplace in the 70s and 80s) and a festival like atmosphere prevails. It's not always been to my taste.

So, with a new season just around the corner,  I have produced my annual list of thirty things that I will endeavour to do this year. Some are retro and will fill me with a nice warm glow, and others are contemporary, stuff that I've never felt the urge to do before, but am now willing to try.


Didn't do
Write and record a Chonburi FC tribute song
Produce an old skool photocopied Chonburi fanzine
Watch a league match that doesn't involve Chonburi
Take someone who doesn't like football to a match
Hand out flowers to Newin Chidchob's personal security guards
Have my photo taken with an opposition coach/manager
Get a Chonburi player’s autograph
Produce a website related unofficial Chonburi FC t-shirt
Score a goal on an opposition pitch
Add English commentary to a video of match highlights


DONE
20. Have my photo taken on the Chonburi pitch
Achieved 23/12/17


I always start these things with the best of intentions, then often run out of steam - or time. But, hey ho (or, as it's Christmas, should that be ho, ho, ho?), I'll keep plugging away.

I managed to get this photo after I'd renewed my season ticket on the way to last Saturday's friendly. I had no problems getting onto the pitch, as there was no-one around and the gate was unlocked. I simply strolled in and had a good wander around.

Apparently, we are re-laying the turf ahead of the upcoming campaign. However, there didn't really seem to be much sign of any work being done. Maybe we're waiting for the season ticket money to come in so we can pay the bill? Or is that what the Nurul cash will be used for?

Either way, they need to get a move on. The current - usually decent - surface looked a mess and not at all conducive to the lovely, free flowing, passing football we're likely to be playing in 2018.



19. Make a life size effigy of a Chonburi player and take it to a match
Achieved 18/11/17


According to northern songsters, Brian and Michael, legendary artist, Laurence Stephen Lowry, painted Salford's smokey tops on cardboard boxes from the shops. I painted a larger than life size effigy of Pipob On-Mo on mine, using the leftover paint from my model stadium (see item 18).

I then took it to the final match of the season against Buriram Utd and persuaded people to pose with it. Thankfully, with one notable exception - "I'm not holding that bloody thing!" - everyone I asked was more than willing. You can see some of the results by clicking on the attached photo.

In all honesty, the game of Pass the Pipob was far more entertaining than anything that was happening on the pitch and caused a bit of a stir in the main stand upper. However, as of yet, no-one from the club has contacted me to sign him as Renan's replacement or to mass produce them to sell in the club shop - they wouldn't know a good business opportunity - or mobile striker - if it came up and slapped them in the face!



18. Build a scale model of Chonburi Stadium
Achieved 10/11/17


As a child I loved making models. I was fond of the legendary Airfix kits (Do they still produce them?) and would spend hours constructing houses, shops and many other buildings for the model village that grew up around my Hornby train set. Then Punk Rock came along.

So when faced with yet another break in this most fragmented of football seasons, I seized the opportunity to travel back to a more innocent time, before Messrs Rotten, Strummer and Shelley changed my life forever. And it was lovely.

Armed with a few sheets of card, some paint and some glue, I set about recreating the ground I have come to know and love so well over these past seven years. It was a slow process, but I guess that's the point of model construction - take your time and at the end you'll have something to be proud of. I even went as far as using scrap paper to make prototypes of all the stands. It was worth it.

Watching the stadium come together bit by bit was truly exhilarating and I enjoyed the challenges that I faced - particularly with the floodlights. The painting too was quite a thrill - I hadn't realised how blue the place is!

When it was finished. I made my myself a celebratory - and well earned - cup of tea and admired my handiwork. Sure, there were things I could have done better and other details that I could have added - "Where's the sala?" I hear you cry - but for my first attempt at building something in miniature in well over forty years, I'm extremely proud of my efforts. Well done, me. I might even start marketing kits - if anyone's interested?



17. Visit an opposition stadium on a day when there isn’t a match
Achieved 5/11/17


I had cause to go up to Bangkok today and my journey took me right past PAT Stadium - the home of Port FC. Therefore, I grabbed the opportunity to pop in and take a few photos.

Not surprisingly for a non match day Sunday morning, the place was deserted. The only other person I saw was a lady, who appeared to be washing the team training kit. We exchanged cheery waves as I made my way into the ground.

I sat in a couple of the stands and had a wander onto the pitch - which certainly had that 'end of season' look to it - and enjoyed the serenity of the experience. It was lovely and peaceful, and in total contrast to my last visit here, when the legendary Bangkok traffic had been responsible for our late arrival and subsequent mad dash to the away end.

However, as I enjoyed my peaceful stroll, I pondered as to what I'd have been able to help myself to were I not such an honest man. I would easily have been able to reverse a truck right up to the main entrance and stuff it full of 'goodies' without being challenged - nothing was locked!

I wonder what the two jobsworth guards who tried to stop me walking behind the stand, with two unopened beers after our recent league meeting were doing this morning? This is when you're most needed, lads. Those corner flags will look lovely in my garden!



16. Cycle to a home match
Achieved 22/10/17


I love cycling, so I'd really been looking forward to this. The weather was good and the roads were quiet, perfect conditions for a Sunday afternoon bike ride.

Other than a brief encounter with a monitor lizard and nearly getting knocked off by one of those idiot minibus drivers, the journey itself was rather uneventful. However, travelling along Sukhumvit at a more leisurely pace than I normally do, gave me the opportunity to see how much development there's been during the past few months on the short stretch of road between SriRacha and Chonburi.

The numerous upmarket condos and "villages" that have sprung up recently, have been joined by a plethora of restaurants, bakeries and coffee shops. Most appear indentikit, but there are a couple that look like they warrant further investigation. Who knows, they might become a part of my regular match day routine? I'll keep you posted and pass on any recommendations

Anyway, back to my ride...

The 15 mile trip took me just over an hour - including a short pit stop at a petrol staion, where I used the ATM and bought a bottle of water - and I enjoyed every minute of it. It really was a treat to leave the car at home and get to the match under my own steam - Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

On arrival at the stadium, I asked the ice cream man to take my photo for the "After" pose - my wife (who thought I was mad for attempting this!) took the "Before" - and then bought myself a well earned bottle of Chang, instead of the 99 he was expecting me to purchase.

My only real problem now was where to leave the bike while I watched the match. Thankfully, the guards were quite happy to allow me to park it behind the ticket table outside the main entrance. They also promised to keep an eye on it for me. And it was still there when I exited at full time. Yay! for the much maligned (usually by me) Chonburi security staff.

Now, I bet you're all wondering how I got back home in the dark. Well, that's a story for another day!



15. Wear an opposition team shirt to a match
Achieved 1/10/17


The press - and in particular those who work for ESPN, Fox etc - seem to love the Buriram Utd fairytale. After all, it's the story of how one man, in a remote area of Thailand, fought against all the odds to build a football club from scratch in order to compete with the continents top teams. Heartwarming and inspiring stuff.

However, the reality is somewhat different. The team who first ran out under the Chidchob umbrella in Isaan, had been drafted in from a city 350kms away - the fans were initially promised free transport to and from home games, if they still wished to support the club. Ayutthya PEA FC (for it is they) already boasted a long, proud history and had won the league in 2008 - the year before they relocated - and competed in both the Kor Royal Cup (losing to Chonburi) and the AFC Champions League the following season.

True, Mr C - aided by his other half - has gone on to make the 'new' club a major force in the region, and construct not one, but two impressive stadiums, but let us not forget that it isn't quite the meteoric rise that some would have you believe.

Therefore, in recognition of this, I decided that I would don this 2009 Ayutthya PEA away shirt for the visit of our illustrious League Cup opponents last Sunday - even if it is a bit snug! It's never a bad thing to be reminded of where you came from...is it?



14. Have a pie and a cup of Bovril at away match
Achieved 20/9/17


Following my attempt to bring a bit of culture to the Chonburi away experience at Navy (see item 13), I decided to return to my roots (and a more common football culinary experience) for the trip to Thai Port. I bought a couple of steak and mushroom pies, and a jar of (ridiculously over-priced) Bovril from my local Tops, and prepared both items during my lunch break at work.

Unfortunately, because we arrived late, I left my flask of "hot, beefy goodness' in the car, in my rush to get to the ground. Thankfully, the plastic container housing the pies, made it safely into the stadium, receiving bemused looks from the security guards in the process.

Once we had found our way to the back of the stand, there were only about ten minutes left until half time, so we made the executive decision to tuck into our grub there and then. As we were also 1-0 down at this point, the food provided us with some comfort and reassurance. They were delicious, too! Shame about the Bovril, but this was a tasty reminder of those midweek games of my youth, under floodlights in the wet. Lovely!



13. Drink a glass of wine at a match
Achieved 10/9/17


After parking the car at the Navy Stadium, I took my life in my hands by 'popping' across the eight lane highway to the Tesco Lotus opposite, to buy a bottle of red. It was even scarier coming back with my purchase. However, I did manage to negotiate all the dangers and thankfully arrived safely outside the away end, where I met up with my usual group of match day mates.

Sadly, only one of these heathens accepted my kind offer of a proper glass of Italy's finest and the rest opted to stick with beer from a plastic cup (Yuk!) rather than join me in my efforts to bring a bit of culture to the Thai league. Their loss!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take my wine inside the stadium so I polished off half a bottle (less the one serving my friend drank) before I went in. I really enjoyed the experience and will make further attempts to make 'el vino' the preferred pre match drink at Chonburi Stadium (and on our travels). I'm already planning to take a bottle to Port on Wednesday, and may even accompany it with some prawn sandwiches. It's the future!



12. Take a photo of all my Thai football programmes and post it on Twitter and Facebook
Achieved 4/8/17


Here they are. All my Chonburi home and away programmes from 2005 to 2017.

The first one we issued, was a two sided A4 photocopied sheet for the top of the table Pro League clash against Suphanburi on the 8th of May, 2005.

This style continued for our first two seasons in the top flight (2006 & 2007) and was supplemented by a TPL Weekly magazine in 07, which was given away free at matches.

Our first booklet programme was introduced in 2008, when we produced both 'Home' and 'Away' editions. I was a regular contributer to these and my columns were the inspiration for this website.



11. Travel by public bus to a home game
Achieved 29/7/17


I've always been an advocate of public transport and use it whenever I can. Therefore, this item was one I'd really been looking forward to.

I had planned to catch one of the old, clunky blue and white buses, the sort of which I've made many a long journey on. Sadly, for the most part, they now seem to have disappeared and been replaced by the mad "pack 'em in and drive as fast as you can" mini-buses - vehicles that I will never get on. Therefore, I had to fall back on Plan B; songtaews and motorbike taxis.

After cheating slightly, by getting my wife to take me into SriRacha town centre, I caught the first of my two songtaews outside Robinsons. B15 got me as far as Nong Mon, where I hopped off my 'Baht Bus' (do people still call them that?) and jumped straight onto another one.

My second songtaew was going all the way into Chonburi, but for me, it was easier to alight at the Kiri crossroads (a B10 fare) and hail a motorbike taxi. So, being a logical sort of chap, that's what I did.

From here it was a short hop to the ground, but my ride on the back of a Suzuki Wave (B30), cost nearly as much as the previous two legs of the journey put together. Outrageous! The driver should have been wearing a mask, a black and red hooped jumper and carrying a bag with 'Swag' written on it. I shall be writing to my MP.

All in all, it was a hassle free trek and only took a few minutes longer than my regular drive in the car. I would certainly do this more often, if only getting home again wasn't such a pain in the backside, especially after late kick offs.



10. Go to a national team match
Achieved 22/7/17


As long as the FAT persevere with their racist ticketing policy (which I believe was dropped for the recent King's Cup tournament. Hopefully a sign of things to come.), I shall continue to boycott the senior national team fixtures. Thankfully, there was no such nonsense at yesterday's U15s AFF Cup final between Thailand and Vietnam and I was able to take my place alongside the boisterous Cheerthai Power group, the fervent Thailand Ultras and the rest who were there to support their youngsters. It was free too!

The match itself was extremely enjoyable. Two teams playing football for the sheer pleasure of it. There was no time wasting, no arguing with the officials, no feigning injury, just a desire to win and have fun in the process. After 80 minutes of end to end action failed to produce a goal (if I have one criticism of the players, it is their finishing), we went straight to penalties.

Sadly for the home fans - of which there were many - the visitors proved to be more composed and technically better than their opponents from twelve yards, and won the shootout 4-2, with a penalty to spare. As disappointed as I was with Thailand's defeat, the explosion of joy shown by the young Vietnamese lads and their coaching staff as the fourth spot kick went, will live with me for a long time (see photo - click to enlarge). It was a genuinely beautiful reaction and a reminder what a wonderful thing football can be.

I can honestly say that last night was the most fun I've had at Chonburi Stadium in a long time. The atmosphere, generated by a large crowd, was terrific and the match - even though some football purists probably wouldn't necessarily agree - was a joy to watch. I just hope that our players and management were paying attention. That's entertainment!



9. Buy an opposition team’s scarf
Achieved 1/7/17



With all the uncertainty surrounding Super Power Samut Prakarn's future, I thought this might be a worthy investment. Who knows, if the club does go under - as many are predicting it will - any merchandise from their one season in existence could fetch a fortune on internet auction sites in the future.

At B399, I thought the scarf was a little pricey - the shirts were only B599 - but, as I've stated above, it could be the best six quid (insert own joke here) I've ever spent.

Sadly, I forget to take a photo at the Super Power Stadium, so the accompanying snap comes from after the home match against Sisaket the following Wednesday.



8. Wave a homemade “Therdsak Out” poster at a match if we’re not in the top ten at Songkran
Achieved: n/a



After our terrible start to the season, I really thought I'd get the chance to wave this banner - made from pages torn out of an old exercise book, and modelled by my dog. However, four straight wins after the abject defeat against Muang Thong Utd on the 5th of March, meant we were sitting comfortably in seventh place going into the short Songkran break. Unfortunately, that good run came to a calamitous end against Bangkok Utd on Tuesday night, in the shape of a 5-1 tonking, so I'm not going to throw my sign out just yet. . .



7. Drive to an away match with my scarf sticking out of the window
Achieved 8/4/17


As a small child, travelling the length and breadth of England to watch Oldham Athletic, there were few more exciting sights than seeing a car load of fellow fans, in some far off place (south of Birmingham), also on their way to the match. These people could usually be identified by the fact they had a club scarf hanging out of the rear, or passenger side, window, and the occasion was marked by frantic waving and the beeping of the horn. I'm not sure if this tradition still exists back in the old country, but I'm now on a one man mission to introduce it to Thailand.

The accompanying photo shows my car parked outside the Suphanburi Stadium after a four hour drive last Saturday. The scarf - my 2007 Thailand Premier League one - had been proudly flying for the duration of the journey, although I was tempted to take it in, to save it from getting damaged, when we encountered a very heavy rain storm in Nonthaburi. And, in response to my wife complaining that the noise of the scarf clattering on the rear window was annoying her, I simply turned up the stereo - we were listening to a John Peel show from February, 1979.

So, if you're making your way to a Chonburi away game this season, and see a white Toyota Vios with a scarf frantically flapping from it, please give me a wave and pip your horn. You'll make an old man very happy.



6. Have the name of this season’s first league goal scorer printed on the back of my replica shirt
Achieved 8/3/17



As I'm still smarting from Prince's perfectly legal goal being disallowed in our opening fixture against Buriram Utd, I was sorely tempted to have the young striker's name printed on the back of my shirt as a protest. However, after much soul searching (and learning that they'd run out of Prince's name and number), I decided to go with our first "official" scorer, so I couldn't be accused of being churlish. Therefore, for the second year running, Nurul Sriyarngem has the honour of being on the back of my shirt. Let's hope it doesn't jinx him - like it appeared to do last season. He only scored two more goals after opening day.



5. Buy a ticket from a tout
Achieved 5/3/17


With Chonburi's home match against Muang Thong Utd selling out the day before, I had to leap into unexpected action when a friend turned up at the last minute without a ticket. A couple of quick phone calls by my wife secured a meeting with one of the local "faces" opposite the ground, about an hour before kick off. Thankfully, he was only asking slightly over the odds, so everyone was more than happy with the deal. Lovely to do business with you, squire.



4. Take a slightly different route to each home match
Started 26/2/17


Route 1: 26/2/17 Chonburi v Nakhon Ratchasima
I travelled to the match after spending a lovely day out with my family. Therefore, my first trip to Chonburi Stadium in 2017 started from the Chonburi Mountain Restaurant in Ban Beung. You can track my route HERE

Route 2: 5/3/17 Chonburi v Muang Thong Utd
A fairly straightforward route along Sukhumvit Road from Assumption College, SriRacha - the spiritual home of Chonburi FC - to the ground today, with a detour down the back roads next to Central Plaza at the end. The usual hold ups occured in the centre of SriRacha and in Nong Mon, but, overall, an uneventful drive. You can check my route HERE

Route 3: 8/3/17 Chonburi v Super Power
Starting from SriRacha railway station, I took the back roads to Bang Phra reservoir, before joining the frontage road alongside Highway 7. After exiting onto the 361, I joined Sukhumvit just south of Central Plaza. From here, it was again the back lanes to my regular parking spot near the stadium. You can track my route HERE

Route 4: 18/4/17 Chonburi v Bangkok Utd
From Assumption to Sukhumvit, then a slight detour to pick up a mate near Pacific Park, before continuing along the all too familiar Route 3, as far as the Ang Sila turn off (the 3134, just after Index). From here it was a short drive to the right turn (at the lights) onto Phaya Satcha Road and along to the stadium. The post-Songkran roads were very quiet and the journey was a pleasant one, spent in the company of my wife and a friend I hadn't seen for a few years. You can track my route HERE

Route 5: 22/4/17 Chonburi v Navy
Straight up the 3241 to pick up the Highway 7 frontage road just past the BSC Driving Range (on the left) and J-Park (on the right). Then a 10-12km drive before exiting onto the new by-pass, which leads to Sukhumvit. After the exciting U-turn, where you have to travel under the road you've just left, I picked up the aforementioned main road and continued along the same route as the Tuesday before - left turn after Index etc (see above). You can track my route HERE

Route 6: 3/5/17 Chonburi v Port
Once again an Assumption College starting point. I took the SriRacha-Nong Yai Bu Road up to the Highway 7 frontage road. I stayed on this road until just before the new bridge, where I exited to pick up Sukhumvit via the cheeky U-turn. I left Sukhumvit at the Kiri crossroads, turning onto Soi Nartmontasavee 4. From here I travelled just under 2km and then made a right onto Nartmontasavee 30, which lead me to the stadium. You can track my route HERE

Route 7: 12/5/17 Chonburi v Chiang Rai
For this Friday night football special, I thought we'd treat ourselves to a nice pre match meal. Therefore, we headed up the SriRacha - Nong Kho Alley 13, parallel to the railway line. Then the windy back roads to - and round - the Bang Phra reservoir, before picking up the 3144 by Bang Phra Golf Club. From this point, we drove a few miles and then turned right onto the Nong Mon by-pass. It was here we paused to eat at the wonderful Little Chef restaurant (I had cod, chips and mushy peas, followed by apple and rhubarb crumble with custard, and washed down by a pint of draft Paulaner Dunkel). Appetites sated, we continued our journey by joining Sukhumvit, making the now familiar U-turn, left at Kiri Junction, right at Phata Satcha Road and then to the ground. You can track my route HERE

Route 8: 21/5/17 Chonburi v Sukhothai
The easiest and most direct route I've taken so far. The 3241 to the Highway 7 frontage road. Then onto the 361 to pick up the Chonburi By-Pass, where I took the first left turning for Ban Suan Nong Khan Khok. From here, over Sukhumvit on the bridge and another left onto Phaya Satcha Road. Finally, yet another left turn to get to the ground. You can track my route HERE


Route 9: 17/6/17 Chonburi v Pattaya Utd
I went up the 3241 and turned right to go past the railway station. Then over the crossroads to pick up an unamed (as far as I'm aware) back road which took me to the Laem Chabang/Motorway connecting road. I turned left and picked up the Frontage Road alongside Highway 7. From here, I repeated Route 8: Onto the 361 to pick up the Chonburi By-Pass, where I took the first left turning for Ban Suan Nong Khan Khok. From here, over Sukhumvit on the bridge and another left onto Phaya Satcha Road. Finally, yet another left turn to get to the ground. You can track my route HERE


Route 10: 5/7/17 Chonburi v Sisaket
I drove up the 3241 and turned right to go past the railway station. I then turned left and proceeded along the SriRacha Nong Yai Bu Road until I reached Highway 7. I continued along the motorway and exited onto the 361, when I repeated Routes 8 & 9: I picked up the Chonburi By-Pass, where I took the first left turning for Ban Suan Nong Khan Khok. From here, over Sukhumvit on the bridge and another left onto Phaya Satcha Road. Finally, yet another left turn to get to the ground. You can track my route HERE


Route 11: 9/8/17 Chonburi v Thai Honda
The back roads from Assumption to Highway 7, just south of Home Pro. Then onto the motorway all the way up to the exit at 361 - Chonburi by-pass. From here, I joined Ban Suan Nong Khan Khok and took the bridge over Sukhumvit. Left onto Phaya Satcha Road and then another left to pick up Soi Nartmontasevee 30, which took me all the way to my usual parking space near the ground. Simple. You can track my route HERE



3. Buy a pair of “Lucky” pants and wear them to every match until we lose. Then repeat
Started 19/2/17

"Lucky" Pants
Pair number 1 - Royal Blue
19/2/17 Pattaya Utd 2-1 Chonburi
Matches: 1, Points: 0

"Lucky" Pants
Pair number 2 - Brown
26/2/17 Chonburi 0-0 Nakhon Ratchasima
5/3/17 Chonburi 0-3 Muang Thong Utd
Matches: 2, Points: 1

"Lucky" Pants
Pair number 3 - Maroon
8/3/17 Chonburi 3-1 Super Power
12/3/17 Sisaket 1-2 Chonburi (Watched on TV)
3/4/17 Chonburi 2-0 Ratchaburi (Watched on TV)
8/4/17 Suphanburi 0-1 Chonburi
18/4/17 Chonburi 1-5 Bangkok Utd
Matches: 5, Points: 12

"Lucky" Pants
Pair numer 4 - Black
22/4/17 Chonburi 0-0 Navy
29/4/17 Thai Honda 1-3 Chonburi
3/5/17 Chonburi 2-1 Port
6/5/17 Ubon Utd 0-0 Chonburi (Watched on TV)
12/5/17 Chonburi 3-1 Chiang Rai Utd
17/5/17 Bangkok Glass 3-0 Chonburi (Watched on TV)
Matches: 6, Points: 11

"Lucky" Pants
Pair number 5 - White with blue patterns
21/5/17 Chonburi 3-1 Sukhothai
27/5/17 BEC Tero 1-3 Chonburi
17/6/17 Chonburi 1-0 Pattaya Utd
21/6/17 Ayutthya Utd 3-2 Chonburi (Watched on TV)
League matches: 3, Points: 9
Cup matches: 1, Wins: 0, Defeats: 1

"Lucky" Pants
Pair number 6 - Black with grey stripes
24/6/17 Nakhon Ratchasima 5-2 Chonburi
Matches: 1, Points: 0

"Lucky" Pants
Pair number 7 - Black with with grey circles
28/6/17 Muang Thong Utd 3-1 Chonburi (Watched on TV)
Matches: 1, Points: 0

"Lucky" Pants
Pair number 8 - White
1/7/17 Super Power 1-4 Chonburi
5/7/17 Chonburi 1-0 Sisaket
8/7/17 Ratchaburi 5-1 Chonburi
Matches: 3, Points: 6

"Lucky Pants"
Pair number 9 - Blue & white stripes
29/7/17 Chonburi 1-1 Suphanburi
5/8/17 Bangkok Utd 7-2 Chonburi*
Matches: 2, Points: 1

*I burned these pants the day after this match!


"Lucky Pants"
Pair number 10 - Charcoal grey
9/8/17 Chonburi 5-0 Thai Honda
10/9/17 Navy 2-2 Chonburi
20/9/17 Port 1-3 Chonburi
24/9/17 Chonburi 1-1 Ubon Utd
1/10/17 Chonburi 1-1 Buriram Utd (4-5pens)*
14/10/17 Chiang Rai Utd 3-1 Chonburi (Watched on TV)
League matches: 5, Points: 8
Cup matches: 1, Won 0, Drew 1, Lost 0

*Even though we lost on penalties, I kept the pants because we played so well and were unbeaten in 120 minutes



2. Record & release a podcast
Achieved 12/2/17



This one has been on the List for a couple of seasons, but for one reason or another, I never got around to it. I had planned to make a recording with some of the lads I usually go to the match with (I still might), but when my old mate Sven, from www.thai-fussball.com, turned up on a recent night out in SriRacha with all his hi-tech gear, I was happy to answer his questions - especially as he was plying me with Chang!

We did the whole thing "on location" in my adopted home town and I really enjoyed the experience - apart from when he asked me a question about Therdsak and then promptly disappeared to the toilet for five minutes, leaving me talking to myself!

The podcast can be heard HERE

With thanks to Sven



1. Wear a Chonburi shirt in another country
Achieved: 10/1/17


I managed to get this shot of me in my Chonburi shirt, at the airport, on a recent trip to Penang in Malaysia. Sure, there are far more interesting locations around the city - particularly in George Town - but I'm fond of this view (as is the man behind me). It makes for quite an attractive backdrop.

Incidentally, this photo was taken on the day that Penang FA player Mohd Faiz Subri, was due to arrive home after winning the FIFA Puskas Award for the "most beautiful goal" of 2016. I missed him by a couple of hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment