Thursday 7 May 2020

Interview With A Groundhopper: 2017

My interview with Patrick Van Puyenbroeck: Groundhopper and Blogger
28th July, 2017


Q - Please can you introduce yourself
I am Patrick, 47 years old and living in Antwerp, Belgium. I work in the logistics department of an airline company.

Q - What is your blog all about?
My blog is about my football travels abroad. I normally don’t post about Belgian grounds I visit, unless it is a special one or with some history behind it. In the beginning, I wrote about the games I’d seen, but the more games I visited they all started to look similar. So now I post only pictures.

Q - When did you start your blog?
I started it in 2008, but did many games and grounds before it.

Q - Why did you start your blog?
I guess blogging was popular at that time and thought it was a nice way to remember my travels. I think it’s useful for other groundhoppers to look at the pictures to see if the ground is worth visiting or not.

Q - Which is your favourite country for groundhopping?
I do like Germany a lot. It is easy for me to get to, high level of football and atmosphere. And in the lower leagues you find some good teams and grounds too.

Q - Which have been the best stadiums you've visited?
I like the old stadiums and I’m not a big fan of the modern arenas, as they are called today. It’s not really about the best, but which has the most charm, like Borussia Neunkirchen and Berchem Sport.

Q - Which have been your least favourite stadiums you've visited?
Those modern arenas in the middle of nowhere (industrial areas, meadows etc) are really boring. Also grounds with running tracks around are awful. So I don’t like grounds with nothing around them and those that are not easy to get to by public transport. FSV Mainz is a good example of that. And the Heysel Stadium in Brussels, Belgium.


Q - Have many grounds have you visited in Thailand?
It must be around 10, including the Rajamangala National Stadium

Q - Which are your favourite stadiums in Thailand?
I do like the 3 tier stand at Bangkok Glass, but sadly they have only 3 stands. Port FC is nice too, as the stands are close to the pitch. Unfortunately I did not visit Buriram Utd and Chonburi FC at home. But in 2011 I saw a game between Pattaya Utd and Chonburi FC played at the IPE Chonburi Stadium.

Q - What is the most enjoyable aspect of groundhopping in Thailand?
It’s very relaxed and Thai people are always very friendly. They even share their drinks with me.

Q - Is there anything you don't like about groundhopping in Thailand?
No I can’t think anything bad about it.People are always trying to help you.

Q - What could clubs do to help foreign groundhoppers in Thailand?
Not all teams have an English translation on their websites so sometimes it’s hard to find any info. But there is a really good website in German and Dutch which helps me to follow Thai football.  http://www.thai-fussball.com


Q - What has been the funniest thing that has happened to you while groundhopping in Thailand?
Thai people asking me for my photograph.

Q - What did you think of the Super Power Stadium?
It is very basic, old school and that’s what I like about football stadiums.


Q - How did you enjoy your experience at the Super Power Stadium?
I did enjoy it a lot due to the friendliness of the fans.

Q - What were your impressions of the match?
Chonburi was the much better team, but Super Power deserved maybe a goal more. The game was not that bad at all.

Q - How did it compare with other matches you've seen in Thailand?
Well, the day after, I went to see Muangthong Utd v Pattaya Utd and that game was really boring. But I saw a few games where the level was much higher, for example Bangkok Glass FC v Buriram Utd in 2016.

Q - What were your impressions of Chonburi?
They were the better side for sure, but with a little more luck Super Power could have scored more.

Q - What were your impressions of the Super Power fans?
Actually for a team only having 1 point, the atmosphere was great. Fans were singing non stop for 90 minutes, even though they were losing. And that’s how it should be.

Q - And the Chonburi fans?
Due to the non stop singing and drum noise of the home fans it was hard to hear the Chonburi fans . Also, I expected more away fans, as the distance is not that far to travel.

Q - What are your thoughts on the Thai league this season?
As always it’s a fight between Buriram Utd and Muangthong Utd, but to be honest I expected Chonburi FC to following them closely, which is not the case this season.

Q - Is there anything else you'd like to add?
I wondered about both fan groups walking together to the stadium and singing songs together. I guess there must be a sort of fan friendship between both set of fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment