Sunday 10 May 2020

Interview With Ian Griffiths: 2012

My interview with ESPN/Star Sports journalist Ian Griffiths
7th May, 2012


Q – Please can you introduce yourself.
A - My name is Ian Griffiths and I’m a 44-year-old football journalist who was born in Wales, but then grew up in the north of England.

Q – What is your current job and what does it involve?
A - My current job is Supervising Editor for www.espnstar.com - the official website for ESPN STAR Sports who are based in Singapore.

Q – How long have you been doing your current job?
A - I’ve been here for nearly five years now. I arrived in Singapore immediately after covering the 2007 AFC Asian Cup group stage in Malaysia for PA Sport.

Q – Where have you worked before?
A - For more years than I care to remember, I have split my time between Asia and England. Before joining ESPN STAR Sports I was freelancing for several publications whilst living near Manchester, a great life that allowed me to cover a whole host of Asian footballers who were plying their trade in Europe – Park Ji-sung, Shunsuke Nakamura and so on. 

Q – Why did you choose to work in Singapore?
A - To be honest, I was enjoying life in Europe, but the opportunity arose to run a site that I thought had great potential. The offer was far too tempting to refuse.

Q – How often are you able to get to watch local live games?
A - Thankfully, all the time. Singapore S.League games are staggered over three days, so I can usually watch at least three out of the six weekly games. This season of course, there has also been Home United and Tampines Rovers to follow in the AFC Cup as well as Singapore’s LIONSXII side in the Malaysia Super League. Life is hectic but at least it’s hugely enjoyable.

Q – What are your impressions of Singapore football and the S League?
A - I am a passionate supporter of both. Football here in Singapore has its problems, but there is little doubt in my mind that quality abounds in the S.League.

Q – Do you think enough is done to promote the local game?
A - Things are slowly improving on that front. The Football Association of Singapore recently appointed a new CEO who is steadily ramping up the amount of promotion afforded to the S.League. I think there is plenty more that can be done, but Rome was not built in a day. I am, however, very optimistic about the immediate future despite the omnipresence of the Barclays Premier League and the upsurge in support for the LIONSXII’s Malaysian adventure.

Q – How often have you seen Home United this season?
A - Several times, both in the S.League and the AFC Cup. They are an exceptionally decent outfit who had a slow start to the season, but who have recently found some very good form.

Q – What do you consider their strengths to be?
A - In midfield and attack. Both areas are filled with very talented players. The Protectors have bagged 23 S.League goals so far this season including three in Saturday’s 3-1 defeat of Woodlands Wellington at the Bishan Stadium. Their midfield is equally impressive, full of creativity and steely determination.

Q – And their weaknesses?
A - I have to say their defence worries me somewhat, something Home coach Lee Lim-saeng (a former Korea Republic international defender) has pointed out on numerous occasions. I think the Home defence has quality individuals but sometimes struggles to play well as a unit.


Q – Which Home United players have impressed you this season?
A - There have been a lot. Singapore international midfielder Shi Jiayi, who is Home’s captain and Mr Versatile, has been excellent this season and even played in the centre of defence against Woodlands. In goal, former Singapore international Lionel Lewis has been his usual steady self, while up front, the attacking duo of Frederic Mendy and Shotaro Ihata have been fantastic. As, indeed, has left-back Jeremy Chiang who I believe is one of the S.League’s most improved players this season.

Q – How important is it for Singapore football for Home United to do well in the AFC Cup?
A - Very, not only for Home’s own aspirations, but also to help raise the regional profile of Singaporean clubs. To a certain degree, I think Home have already succeeded in doing the latter this season.

Q – Realistically, how far do you think Home United can go in the AFC Cup?
A - I thought all along that they would get through the group stage. However, to go beyond the last 16 I feel they need home advantage in the next phase. That’s why they desperately need to beat Chonburi (sorry) and finish first in Group G.

Q – Will fans of other S League clubs be supporting Home United on Tuesday night?
A - Very much so. AFC Cup nights are highly enjoyable in Singapore with fans from other clubs often spotted at Home and Tampines’ continental games. The fact that Singapore is relatively small in a geographical sense makes it easy for fans from area to visit another and support what would normally be rival teams. It’s a case of Singaporeans sticking together.

Q – Do you get the opportunity to watch other matches in the region?
A - Yes I do. Mainly in Malaysia, but I intend to spread my wings slightly further afield in the coming months. In the past, I have watched football all over Southeast Asia.

Q – How closely do you follow Thai football?
A - Very – after all it is part of my job.

Q – What are your impressions of Thai football?
A - I have always been impressed ever since I started following Thai football circa 1996. The country has produced some of ASEAN’s greatest ever players, and I still consider an interview I did with Kiatisuk Senamuang as one of my career highlights. I know there has been plenty of bureaucratic nonsense attached to Thai football in the past, but that aside, the quality of the football and the standard of the footballers the country produces on a regular basis is deeply impressive. 

Q – What do you know about Chonburi FC?
A - The same as other Thai football aficionados I presume – Thai Premier League winners in 2007, FA Cup winners in 2010. A team that has plenty of talent and one which is backed by a legion of very passionate fans. It would also be remiss of me not to mention Therdsak Chaiman – a Thai legend and a player who I believe is one of the S.League’s greatest ever imports. I also remember the team getting to the final of the 2006 Singapore Cup – beating Home along the way, before narrowly losing to Tampines in the final. Then there’s the AFC Champions League and AFC Cup experience.

Q – What are you expecting from Tuesday night’s match?
A - Quite a tight affair, but one which should see Home going all out for the win they need to finish top of the group. As I mentioned before, home ground advantage will be crucial in the last 16.

Q – Will you be going to the game?
A - Sadly I won’t as I am heading out of Singapore to follow up on some interviews of my own – all of which will be revealed at a later stage!

Q – Would you care to give a score prediction?
A - All I am going to say is that I believe it will be close. Home are playing well, but must be wary of a talented side like Chonburi who have already made the AFC Cup quarter-final stages on two previous occasions.

Q – Anything else you’d like to add?
A - Thanks for the questions. Here’s hoping I can get to Thailand in the near future and watch Chonburi play at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment