Sunday 10 May 2020

NEW!! Leo Stadium by Obb Deewajin: 2020

Leo Stadium
by Sorapong Deewajin

In late October 2019, the Guardian published an article titled Which football team endured the biggest swing between two results? Under the section Stadiums with missing pieces, to my joy, LEO Stadium was mentioned, thanks to nomination from Twitter user Rob McEvoy.

I was delighted to see BG Pathum United’s, iconic, 3-sided home ground getting the shoutout, even though it was just a quick mention. Obviously I’m a fan of the stadium. But not because I support the club or the fact that I live 15 minutes, maximum, away from the ground. No. It’s just the simple fact that, compared to other neighbouring grounds, LEO Stadium offers you the best all-round matchday experience.

I get it; we’re missing a stand. But then, quirky, does a stadium need to be “completed” to pass as a good one?

Towards the end of his career, Paul Cézanne, the influential French artist, painted the Turning Road (Route Tournante). Considered as one of his most interesting works, the piece stirred up conversations in the art community at the time, and like LEO Stadium, is seen by many as an unfinished piece.

An experimentalist and perfectionist all in one person, many art critics argue that Cézanne left Turning Road and moved on to newer pieces. However, it is widely accepted today that Cézanne simply didn’t want to ruin a beauty work with an unnecessary brushstroke - displaying his “less is more” impressionist style. The painting is a fitting representation of how Cézanne saw the world and, despite not being picture-perfect, that was more than enough.

Again, does a stadium need to be “completed” to pass as a good one?


According to BG Pathum United chairman Pavin Bhirombhakdi, there were plans to build a 4th stand, where the land currently belongs to a car showroom, if fans can fill the stadium week-in week-out. I doubt we’ll ever see a 4th stand and I am totally happy with that.

Opposition used to worry about playing on artificial turf but that’s not an issue anymore following the switch to grass in 2018. Our pitch was in such an immaculate state that opponents started to enjoy their away day and we ended up relegated in 2018 - our first season with real grass. Coincidence?

As a tactics nerd, I prefer sitting higher up the stands for the full pitch view thus the South Stand (S2), the cheapest ticket, is my go-to choice. 9,000 capacity, a drop after seats were installed, is an alright size, considering the 2019 Thai League average attendance is 5,699. Although I would argue that LEO Stadium is one of the rare occasions when the seats fitted just about right - not too crowded or steep.

Getting here can be a bit of a struggle but we got plenty of parking spaces next to the stadium. A new family-friendly restaurant near the ticket office that actually serves decent food and acts as a stall club gallery. And finally, the beer. I think our staff is the league’s most well trained at shifting out pints of ice cold LEOs. Plus, you’re free to carry your drinks inside the stadium - can’t do that at Thammasat!

Bringing back to Cézanne, I think our management, for all the criticism I gave them, did experiment with a 3-sided stadium and I respect them for pulling it off. BG Pathum United was one of the first Thai clubs to have their own purpose-built and I am proud of that. I wouldn’t go as far as saying the stadium is a work of art...but I think it’s pretty cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment