Saturday 30 May 2020

Interview With Matt Smith: 2017

My interview with Bangkok Glass defender, Matt Smith, from 19th October, 2017
 

Q - Overall, how satisfied, or otherwise, have you been with Bangkok Glass' season?
Ha, ha! If you ask people what my response would be, I think they would say ‘I’m never satisfied’! However, overall, Looking back at the season with four games remaining, I feel that the club has taken a few steps forward in comparison to previous years. On the pitch and the training ground, the level of culture and professionalism has increased. The level of game and tactical understanding has developed. There are, in my mind, still many levels I feel we are capable of getting to and that’s part of our journey. We’ve put in some good performances and unlike previous years, performed well against the top sides. Although, among our negatives and an area for attention, is that we’ve dropped points against teams we should have beaten.
 
Q - And your own performances?
I never like to critique myself. Maybe ask the coach. Ha, ha!
 
Q - How did Aurelio Vidmar leaving mid season affect the club and the players?
As a player, the most important thing is to focus on the things that you can control. It’s not been the first time across my career that the club has changed coach. As a player and captain, it is important that you stay focused on the players and team throughout the transition. Work hard in training and be as prepared as possible for the match days.
 
Q - And what did Surachai do to steady the ship after his (re)appointment?
Surachai is the Technical Director of the club so the players are familiar with him and his methods. He has also been the caretaker coach before. We have Coco & Jorge still as assistant coaches so together with Surachai they tried to keep things fairly consistent with what we’ve been doing.
 
Q - Which has been the best team you've faced this season?
I feel Muangthong have been our toughest opponent this season. We’ve performed quite well against them, but their ruthlessness and ability to see through different stages of a match, means I feel they’re the best team I’ve faced.
 
Q - And who has been your toughest opponent?
I always enjoy playing against Diogo (Buriram Utd). Him and Jaja together has been a good challenge. They compliment each other and have everything you want from a strikeforce. They can hold the ball up, run in behind, run off the shoulder, link play, and finish with both feet, inside and outside the box.
 
Q- Up until last weekend you were the only club to fail to beat Super Power. How did it feel to get this monkey off your back when they won against Navy?
I don’t care about their results. When we played against them we had enough chances to win. Like I mentioned before, these are the sides that we should be getting three points from, as we performed well enough to do so.
 
Q - So what went wrong on the day you drew with them?
We couldn’t score!
 
Q - As an outsider, it always seems to me that Bangkok Glass under achieve - given the resources and players you have. How would you respond to this observation?
I feel that we have the capabilities to achieve more and I’m never a person to use excuses or feel content. I think we are simply not performing well enough on a consistent basis to challenge for the title this season. You can put this down to many things, but ultimately, I will not use excuses. I see us a top 5 side. We have some great players, probably the best side we’ve had since I’ve been at the club. The most important thing is that I feel we are progressing and with continual development we will get better. The season before I arrived we finished 10th, then 6th - despite only small points difference between 3rd and6th. Last season we finished 3rd and this season we are currently joint 4th. With that you can argue - with our resources - we are placed quite accurately. To get to the next level it’s about the small, finer details of our play and preparation, which we need to improve. And I feel we can.
 
Q - What are your expectations for next season?
My expectations are always consistent whenever I get asked this question; I expect us to be better again. To continue to be better and progress both on and off the field. Every year that I’ve been at the club things have improved and that motivates me as a player. Of course, we are competitors and I want to win, no doubt about that. However, I do not talk about winning championships or cups. I feel if we are developing our performances and we perform better than our opponents on a consistent basis, then success is a by product.
 
Q - What are your thoughts on the artificial pitch being replaced?
I think the key thing here - as this is a top question for Thai football - is that Bangkok Glass is always seeking ways to be better. I think it is a positive thing for us to put down a natural grass pitch. Everybody used to moan about playing at BG. But one thing for sure is that I would rather play on our artificial pitch then having to go and play away at some of the pitches across the league and country.
 

Q - So, do you think it's been an advantage or disadvantage having the only artificial surface in the top flight for the past few years?
You can make an argument both ways about this. You can say it’s been our advantage having it and ‘we’re used to it’ and ‘others aren’t familiar with it’. Or you can say, we’ve had the pitch for a number of years now. Teams and players would have played on it numerous times. Plus, like I mentioned above, it’s always watered, and teams know they can play football on it - if that’s their philosophy.
 
Q - Given the conditions a lot of Thai league matches are played in (waterlogged pitches, uneven pitches etc) wouldn't it make more sense for clubs to have artificial pitches, and not be ripping them up?
Without naming any, I feel this is a key area needed for improvement across the top professional league in this country. If the standard of playing surfaces is good, the performances of the teams are better and more enjoyable for the spectators. In contrast, it is positive to see some clubs making the investment in new stadia and pitches over the past season.
 
Q - Plastic pitch or not, a trip to the Leo Stadium is always popular with away fans. Why do you think this is?
The Leo beer...?! Ha,ha! I feel it’s one of the best stadiums for atmosphere and as a player, it’s great to play there.
 
Q - Would you rather it was something we didn't look forward to?
I want supporters across the country to enjoy whichever stadium they go to. The higher the crowd attendances the better for the football in this country.
 
Q - On to Sunday. What kind of match are you expecting?
It’s always a tight affair when we play against Chonburi. I expect a tough and positive approach from the Sharks, especially as they are playing at home. However, we will match that and come and play for the three points. With that in mind, I expect it to be an attack minded game.
 
Q - Watching Chonburi last Saturday, I got the impression that a few of our players are already "on the beach". How easy is it to get motivated for these end of season matches?
I do not know what happens in Chonburi and of course, will not comment on that. But for me, we are certainly not on holiday mode at Bangkok Glass. At the end of the day we are all very lucky to be professional footballers. There are still football matches and points up for grabs and we want to finish the season as strongly as possible. Motivation for me has never been an issue.
 
Q - What are your thoughts on how Chonburi have performed this season?
Chonburi are probably where I would have placed them at the start of the season. They are a good team with some good players.
 
Q - Which of these players are you most wary of?
I’ve always had a good, respectful tussle with Renan over the years and he is a player that can certainly hurt you. He is always a handful and I’m expecting the same this weekend.
 
Q - I'm not expecting a big crowd on Sunday. How does the size of the crowd, or the hostile/non-hostile atmosphere at away grounds affect you as a player?
Linking to my earlier answer, as a player I want to be playing in front of large crowds, both home and away. I hope you are wrong, and both teams get to play in front of a good crowd.  
 
Q - Which would you rather have: A hostile crowd or an indifferent one?
As a player, I just hear noise, because I’m focussed on the game. Anyway, even if the fans are hostile, I can’t understand their Thai!
 
Q - Is there anything else you'd like to add?
Good, tough and enjoyable questions to answer. Good luck on Sunday and let the best team win.
 
Q - And finally, I can’t let you go without answering the most important question of the lot: Who's going to win the Ashes?
Ha, ha! I’m totally on the fence!

No comments:

Post a Comment