Saturday 23 May 2020

NEW!! We're Going Where The Sun Shines Brightly by Dale Farrington: 2008

We're Going Where The Sun Shines Brightly
by Dale Farrington


For the first couple of seasons we were in the top flight, the matches to look forward to were the ones against BEC Tero. They were still the biggest club in the country at that time and as the young upstarts, we relished the meetings with the well established top dogs. Therefore, it was no surprise when the usual few hundred Chonburi fans made the trip to Nong Jork in August, 2008 - for a Wednesday, 4:00pm kick off. No, the truly unexpected event was waiting for us when we arrived on those infamous metal terraces.

To this day, it remains an absolute mystery to me why the Fire Dragons’ PA was blaring out the ‘Summer Holiday’ soundtrack - in its entirety - on that balmy afternoon. Now, I’m a huge fan of the film - even though I’ve often wondered where the water came from for the shower on the upper deck?? - but, even in my wildest dreams, I never, ever thought I’d be grooving to ‘Bachelor Boy’, ‘Dancing Shoes’ and ‘The Next Time’ in the away end of a Thai football stadium, as the teams warmed up on the pitch in front of me.

Sadly, no-one else among the vast travelling support truly seemed to appreciate what was going on - and I did ask around. However, I enjoyed the moment (well, the 30 odd minutes) and, if the person responsible for giving the disc a spin is reading (unlikely - ed), then I’d like to send you my belated thanks. You made this visiting supporter very happy and for that, I’ll be eternally grateful. 

Oh, and the 'Big News' is that we won 'A Swingin' Affair', 1-0.

No comments:

Post a Comment