Saturday 9 May 2020

Interview With Goran Barjaktarevic: 2018

My interview with the new Chonburi head coach, Goran Barjaktarevic, from March, 2018.


Q - Please can you introduce yourself
My name is Goran Barjaktarevic and I am 49 years "young". I was born and raised in Yugoslavia, but took German citizenship in 2000. I have been working as a football coach with a UEFA Pro Level license since 2005.


Q - Please can you give us a brief overview of your coaching career to date
In 1998, as ex professional footballer, I qualifed for a German B license. My first experience as a head coach was with a club in the German 5th tier. In 2000, I became the trainer of an U19 team that played in the highest German league. After achieving a professional license, I led several clubs in the dual role of coach and sports director, with some success. Most recently, I worked as a DFB football instructor in China, as part of the German-Chinese cooperation and again as an U19 coach and sports director in the football training centre at Eintracht Braunschweig. Now I am happy to be at Chonburi.


Q - How did you first get into coaching?
I always played football with a full heart and it was clear to me that I would stay in the game all my life. In addition, the fact that my two parents were teachers, meant I grew up in a family that taught me which is the best and most simple way to transfer your knowledge to young people.


Q - Who have been your biggest influences?
Actually, my young teammates were a big influence. I always helped them to find their own way and place in the squad. Many of them were frustrated with the way they were treated by former coaches and some older colleagues. Some of them were the first who said to me: "Please become a coach, then I will play for your team later". And of course, Johan Cruyff has always been my biggest idol.


Q - How did you get the job at Chonburi?
My friend, who is my agent too, works on various projects for the DFB (German Football Association), and spends a lot of time in Thailand. The contact with Chonburi FC came through him.


Q - What did you know about Chonburi before you came here?
I knew that Chonburi FC is a football club with a great tradition and a very good image in Thailand and throughout Asia. I also knew that in the last few years, the club has developed a concept that is very compatible with my attitude to football.


Q - And what did you know about Thai football?
I know a lot about Thai football. I have been following the Thai league intensively in the last three years because the game in Thailand is rapidly developing and becoming more professional. Therefore, it is logical that I followed the movements in the country very closely. In Germany, there are many ways to follow football in almost every country of the world, in a very detailed way.


Q - How have you settled in at Chonburi?
Very well. I haven’t had any problems. Although, I have to admit that I still cannot get around the city on my own!


Q - What have the staff and players done to make you feel welcome?
Everyone is really friendly and they all try to do their own thing in the best possible way to make me feel welcome. Thanks to them, I feel very comfortable at the club. Although I often think seriously about how they feel about me. Sometimes I do not know if they understand my sense of humour. It is not healthy for anyone to be totally serious all the time. I hope that they feel the same with me as I do with them.


Q - What has been the hardest thing for you to adapt to?
We humans are actually "habitual animals". We are all used to using different standardized processes over time. Because I have been working in this job for a long time in Germany, I feel that I have to adapt my views and ways of working to the country where I am a guest. I still haven’t completely achieved this mental transition, but I am really working hard at it.


Q - How does your partnership with Therdsak work? Is this a difficult arrangement due the fact that he was head coach for the past two seasons?
It’s true that this is a situation that happens very rarely in this job, but we are absolutely fine. We both work for the club and are on the same team. We both try to do our jobs as well as we can. Therdsak is a legend at this club and he is doing a lot of different things here. I personally have no problem with it. Football is my profession, and I will do my job professionally, whatever the situation. Maybe Therdsak could give you a much better answer on that question.


Q - What were your ambitions before the season started?
My ambition is always just to win the next game. If we can do that often enough, we will achieve much more than just remaining in the league.


Q – And what targets have been set by the senior management?
This season, five clubs will have to drop out of T1. Our primary goal this season is to stay in the top league. At the same time, of course, we have to improve our young talents and lead them to a higher playing level. Each season, the demands on the players will be higher, because the league is getting stronger.


Q - Do you think we can still meet these goals?
I am sure that the team can achieve these ambitions.


Q - How do you think the players have taken to your coaching methods and ideas?
In the beginning there were a few problems with understanding. I made some changes in the training process and the players took a bit of time to adapt, but it keeps getting better. Improvement in football is a process that takes a bit of time.


Q - What are the biggest differences at Chonburi from other clubs you've worked at?
Some things are really different. Now I cannot say if this is typical only at Chonburi FC, or is the case throughout Thai football. I haven’t really been here long enough to comment. However, the biggest difference at Chonburi was clear to me from very early on. I came pretty late to the club and had to practice with a group of 40-45 players, almost until the last week of pre season. It was very hard to make any effective tactical points with so many people on the pitch. It was also difficult to practice the football-specific physiological requirements with such a big group. Of course I must confess that these training conditions did not help us get a positive start to the season.


Q - What are your impressions of our season so far?
The first five or six games are practically the reflection of the preparation I’ve just mentioned. However, the team has the potential to achieve much more. The team will improve in time.


Q - What aspects of our play have you been most satisfied with?
Although we have not won all our matches, the players have performed each time as a team. For me personally, the most important thing is that the players try to play the same way, as we have practised in training. I have already said why this has not worked out better in the games, but now we have a situation in which we must work on all the things we need to improve at.


Q – So where do you think we need to improve?
In all areas of the game. I know that such a statement does not sound encouraging, but I say it because I have infinite confidence in these players and know that none of them have yet reached the limit of their own potential.


Q - The transfer window was closed when you arrived so you didn't get the chance to sign any players. How easy has it been for you working with someone else's squad?
It is true that I had no influence on the composition of the squad, but I have to say that all the players have very good personalities and want to improve themselves. These are all good and nice young men and I have no problem with the fact that I inherited the squad.


Q - Will you be allowed to make your own signings during the next transfer window?
We have not discussed this subject internally yet. I really cannot answer that question.


Q – Finally, do you have a message for the fans?
I am very impressed and very grateful how our fans support us and stand by us, even in the not very successful times, like now. I want them to know that the whole team works very hard to make them happy and reward them with the first home win of the season. We all feel that we owe a big debt to our fans. We promise we will not disappoint you this season.



No comments:

Post a Comment