Sunday 31 May 2020

NEW!! This Supporting Life: 2020


Aussie, Peter Dickson, lived in Thailand between 2005 and 2008. During that time he, his wife, son and daughter, became regulars at Chonburi home matces. Here he recalls some of his memories of the time. 

CHONBURI - BOM! BOM! BOM! 
by Peter Dickson
As an Australian teacher spending three years in Thailand with my family, it was quite a surprise to see how a born and bred rugby man like me could embrace the game of football - soccer in my homeland. We love our sport in Australia and my family not only played but always supported our local team. Whilst living in Pattaya, we were always looking for things we could do together at the weekends and so it was only natural that we jumped at the chance to attend a local soccer match of the closest home team - Chonburi! 

What an experience that first game was! On arriving at the ground we found seats in the middle of a large group of passionate supporters. We were blown away by the chanting and the atmosphere created by horns blasting, the rhythmic clapping and group unison of supporters' voices. I can hear it now - "Chonburi FC, Chonburi FC, " bom, bom...., bom,bom,bom...... bom,bom,bom,bom "Chonburi'" and the loyal, loud supporters beating their drums to the tune. 

Whilst watching the 2006 World Cup the Vuvuzela horns made me laugh, at least at a Chonburi Game our horns were played in tune. Needless to say my family and I became firm soccer fans, and more importantly, Chonburi supporters. We went to home games dressed in light blue and dark blue, we owned the jumpers, the scarves and yep, my son had a horn to blast! 

Soccer, the Chonburi team and the friends we shared games with, have all become fond memories of our time spent in Thailand. Even today, at home in Australia, my son proudly wear his Chonburi FC jersey to his soccer training. The Thai people and Australians are really quite alike, we love our sport. Whilst in Thailand I would recommend any visitor to share a game and experience the spirit of a Chonburi match. 


Brett Gardner is an Aussie who lived in Thailand for five years. He is a keen cricketer and a big fan of AFL. However, his first ever experience of watching live football was at Srindhorn Stadium in 2009. Here is his tale.

GO, SHARKS
by Brett Gardner
I have lived in Australia for more than thirty years and have played and watched sport all of my life. But there is one sport that I have never understood or played at any reasonable level. That is Football (Soccer). Watching a game that lasts an hour and a half and the score can still be nil all at the end, isn't my idea of entertainment. So when I was asked to attend a Chonburi FC match for the first time, I was a little sceptical to say the least. But I decided to bite the bullet and give it a go. 

Getting to the ground for my first game was an interesting experience. Everyone around the stadium was cheering and clapping and making me feel part of it, even though they had never met me before. Once inside the stadium all I saw was a sea of blue and white. All of these people were looking at me and just waiting to see which team I was going to support. As I walked over to the spectator area where the main body of Chonburi fans had gathered, I was greeted with open arms and I couldn't help but get involved in the festivities. And all of this before a ball had been kicked. 

After my first experience, I returned many times and watched some amazing matches. My 8 year old daughter, who usually accompanied me, loved going to the football and we were both been made to feel a part of the whole scene. It is a warm, friendly and humble environment and this is why I took my daughter and her friends to as many games as possible during our time in Thailand. The actual game itself is still confusing but you really can't beat the atmosphere!! Go, Sharks!


No comments:

Post a Comment