Wednesday 29 April 2020

Interview With Darren Alldis: 2009

Interview With Darren Alldis - Pong FC
Here is an interview, from November, 2009, that I conducted with Darren Alldis, the main sponsor and coach of  local grassroots football club, Pong FC. 


Me - Hi Darren. Can I start by asking you how long have you been in Thailand? 
DA - I've been here for about 11 years, off and on.

Me - And what brought you here? 
DA - One of my friends moved to Koh Samui and I followed.

Me - Can you please tell me a little bit about your background. 
DA - I come from West London. I started playing football when I was 6 or 7 and got the bug. I started playing for the school, then the district and finally the borough. We had a local youth club, called Mavericks, which had about six teams representing all different ages. It was very well run and did very well. We also had the opportunity to visit many different countries to play football.

Me - Can you tell me about your playing career? 
DA - When I was 15 I was scouted by Brentford and played for them for about a year. From there I went to Wimbledon but things didn't work out so I drifted away from football for about six years. After this break, I started playing Sunday football again, in a very good team and got asked to play for Penn FC, a semi pro club. However, I damaged two bottom discs in my back and that was that. I had two operations and really thought that my playing days were over.

Me - Please can you give me a bit of background about Pong FC. When you were formed? Who was instrumental in getting things started? Where you are based? etc 
DA - About six months ago I wanted to get fit again and there is a pitch near my house. When I went there, I was asked to play for a local Thai team, V.I.P. Pong. That iswhen I first met Mr Weechai, who has been a teacher at Wat Pong School for twenty years. He takes care of all the football at the school and he invited me along to do some coaching with the students. My involvement led to meetings with Mr Weechai's son, Ball, who is a local referee. And also, Mr Know, the village Headman, who all put time in with the kids.

Me - Where is your home ground? 
DA - It is near to Maprachan Lake, on the outskirts of Pattaya.


Me - Who is coaching your team?
DA - Kn Weechai, Mr Know, Ball and me.

Me - Where do your players come from and how did you recruit them?
DA - Most of them come from Pong village but we are widening our net. However, Wat Pong School will remain the base for our academy.

Me - If you don't play in a league what sort of fixtures will you be playing? 
DA - We will play as many friendly games as we can and just enjoy our football. And then next year, maybe move up a level or enter the FA Cup.

Me -Do you have any aspirations to become a league club? 
DA - No.Not yet. We will need more sponsors before we can even begin to think about that.

Me - Who is currently financing your club? 
DA - It's just me at the moment. I have just bought two sets of new kit - home and away - but I really could do with some more financial help, please. So, if anyone out there is interested...

Me - What experience do you have of running a football club?
DA - I don't have any. This is the first time I've attempted anything like this.

Me - Do you have sponsorship? 
DA - Astral Universal Holdings, my small company, are currently the only sponsors.

Me - Do you follow local football?
DA - Yes. I have been following Pattaya Utd this season but - and you'll like this - the reason I got into Thai football initially was because of Chonburi FC. I think that they are still the benchmark of how a club should be run.

Me - Which was your first Thai league match? 
DA - It was in 2007, the year Chonburi won the league. I think the first match I went to was against BEC Tero.

Me - Why do you think that there is now so much interest in local football? 
DA - It's getting better in every aspect.

Me - Do you support the Thailand national team?
DA - Yes.

Me - Do you think that Bryan Robson is the right man for the job?
DA - I'm glad that he has kept Steve Darby.

Me - What did you think of Peter Reid's time in charge? 
DA - I thought he did OK.

Me - Is there anything else you'd like to add?
DA - If we can get some of the lads to move up a level, I will be very happy. All our players are aged between 16 and 18 so, if there are any people who would like to get involved on the playing side, or help to sponsor Pong FC, please feel free to contact me at darrenalldis(at)yahoo.com

Me - Thanks, Darren, and good luck. 
DA - Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment