Sunday 26 April 2020

Interview With Valdir Bardi: 2018

My interview with Valdir Bardi, the Pattaya Utd goalkeeping coach, from 4th August, 2018.


Q - The last time we spoke, you were at Bangkok Utd. Why did you leave the club?
After we lost the the 2017 FA Cup final against Chiang Rai Utd, they decided to fire me, because the management thought we’d had a “bad” season and it looks like it was my fault!

Q - How did you get the job at Pattaya Utd?
My friend, Ji Hun, is the fitness coach and he got me the job here. The head coach said they needed someone to work with the goalkeepers so he gave them my name and got them to call me.

Q - How are you enjoying your time there?
Being honest, after five years working with Mano, it is like a fresh start for me. We don’t have the same pressure here that there is at Bangkok Utd. I believe this makes it more enjoyable during the training sessions and I am enjoying this new chapter of my career.

Q - What is the best thing about being at the club?
The facilities are amazing, and the respect I have from the president and coaching staff is something that motivates me every day. I also have the chance to show my potential.

Q - How does it compare to other clubs you've worked at?
I don’t really like to compare because every club has good points and bad points, but as I’ve already said, the facilities here have impressed me a lot. They are just what clubs need, but many don’t have. We have a private gym, a jacuzzi, a video room and everything that a football club needs to be professional.

Q - How difficult is it for you to forge a relationship with the fans and community when you aren't based in the city?
I don’t really feel this is a problem. I came from a club which doesn’t have many fans. I’ve experienced only two home games with Pattaya Utd, but I’ve seen a great atmosphere between fans and players.

Q - What plans does the club have to move their base to Pattaya?
I still don’t know. I only arrived here a month ago and all I’ve done is to prepare the keepers for the games. Hopefully, I will get this information soon.

Q - Realistically, where do you see Pattaya Utd in five years time?
It is early days, but with the quality of young players, and all the facilities here, if they can keep organised like this, the future is bright. We have the potential to be a top club.

Q - What are your impressions of the season so far?
I can’t comment about the time before I arrived, but what I can say is in my first month, the guys are playing their hearts out in order to keep the club in T1 next season. The quality of some players is something that makes me really happy to be here.

Q - What are your expectations for the rest of it?
To get out of this situation as soon as possible, and see how much we can help the goalkeepers improve.

Q - How have you been preparing for Saturday's match?
I’ve been working with our keepers. We’ve been analyzing the way Chonburi play and trying to recreate some offensive moves that they are likely to use, especially from set plays. On the day, we will have a healthy meal, a short talk about the importance of the match and I will remind them to enjoy themselves.

Q - How important do you think it is for a goalkeeper to be a commanding presence at the back?
It is fundamental for any keeper. Without presence you have no respect, and can be targetted by your opponents, making it easy for you to be beaten.

Q - What have you been doing to help your goalkeepers achieve this?
We have been encouraging our keepers to be more talkative. We have already started to see improvement but there is still a lot of work to do.

Q - As a goalkeeping coach, what involvement do you have with the rest of the team? 
I try to help as much I can. Here in Pattaya, they let me analyze some points and talk with the players to help them understand our keeper. I also give advice for our strikers, especially when I know the goalkeeper from our opponents, or talk with our defenders, when I know the opposition’s players.

Q- What are your expectations for the match on Saturday?
Statistically, we are a better team playing away, as we play a counter attacking game. This is is why we have high expectations so let’s see.

Q - What are your thoughts on Chonburi's season so far?
I think their season has been quite similar to Pattaya’s. The team has good offensive players, but is not well organised and poor defensively.

Q - Which of our players are you most wary of and why?
Both Brazilians, Ciro and Matheus, plus Bajram.

Q - Would you care to make a score prediction?
Why not! With all respect to Chonburi, I think it will be 1-0 to Pattaya. This would be a great result for us.

Q- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
Thanks for another opportunity to chat, Dale. Hoping for a good game, mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment