Thursday 9 April 2020

Swimming With Sharks by Shaneza Jaafar: 2012

Swimming With Sharks
by Shaneza Jaafar
12th May, 2012


My name is Shaneza Jaafar from Singapore. I am a huge fan of football. I am not a supporter of any club in particular. However, Fabio Cannavaro is my favourite player and yes, I do support the Azzuri!   I was very lucky to be able to meet Fabio last year and got a chance to be up close and personal with him.

The name Chonburi FC became familiar to me in the early years of the 21st century. They came to Singapore during one of the AFC tournaments. I could clearly remember hearing one of my friends saying this, “Yes, it is a good team! The Thais play with class!” Sadly, I never had any opportunities to watch them play until last Tuesday. After the game on Tuesday with Home United, I realised what my friend said then was really true. This team plays with class!

Despite being almost half an hour late for the game, upon reaching the stadium, I felt I was being transported to Thailand. The view of the sea of blue jerseys and the intense cheering in the Thai language made me smile. I was at the right section of the stadium, with the away fans. I wondered if these fans are living or working here in Singapore. I am not surprised if some of them actually travelled from Thailand to support their team.

After settling down in my seat, upon looking at the score board, I realised I have missed one goal from Chonburi, also affectionately known as the Sharks. The guy who sat beside me filled me on the name of the player who scored. It was their talented captain, Pipob On-Mo. I was thrilled that the team was leading and they were still hungry for more goals. The game swung from end to end as Home was not ready to admit defeat.  Meanwhile the Sharks did all that they could to maintain control of it.

Therdsak Chaiman, a former S.League star, was the key figure of the team. He played beautifully, edging his team mates into Home’s half and provided non-stop crosses as the forwards attempted to score more goals. Despite his age, Therdsak displayed his proficiencies in controlling the midfield as his side gained confidence. It was such a waste that the S.League allowed Therdsak to return to his homeland after donning the colours of SAF FC for many years.

When the half time whistle was blown, the away fans came together towards the stand and cheered for their team as the players made their way to the changing room. The fans gathered and took pictures with each other as they were fully equipped with banners, shawls, caps, face paints and Shark figurines. The children amongst the supporters were also dressed in the team’s blue and black jerseys. I am still impressed by the number of supporters that came and the vibrant environment they provided for the team and themselves. Without hesitation, I joined in their half time celebrations and photo taking. As the Thais are known for being friendly in nature, I saw the passion in their eyes for their team. They are indeed the die-hard fans!

The team received a warm second half welcome by their supporters as they made their way back to the pitch. Substitutions were made and the game commenced. The Protectors was determined to make a comeback in the second half while the Sharks continued to dominate the game, looking for chances to extend their lead. With the assistance from Therdsak, Kotchaplayuk managed to find the net and score the second goal for Chonburi in the 77th minute. The stadium shook, as Chonburi supporters roared with extreme joy!

Sinthaweechai, the rock-hard goalkeeper, was another key player in the match. He saved numerous attempts made by Home players. The highlight of his contribution was when he saved the bicycle kick made by Franklin, the Protector’s tall defender. Sinthaweechai jumped up and tipped the ball across the bar and this time, the crowd stood up and cheered his amazing save!

After several attempts, the Protectors managed to score a consolation goal through substitute Indra Sahdan in the 86th minute. Chonburi did not sit back to relax. They almost scored in the 87th minute and during the added time as well.  Relentlessly, they tried and made several attempts until the final whistle was blown.

Before leaving the pitch, the Chonburi players stood in line and bowed to their die-hard fans. The supporters beamed with pride as they cheered for their players. The celebration continued as the supporters proceeded out of the stadium. There were also friendly encounters with Home supporters as there were handshakes and photo taking of fans from both teams.

It was indeed an exciting and unforgettable experience for me watching Chonburi play. I look forward to watching them play in their home ground when I come to visit Thailand soon!

Thank you, Dale for allowing me to share my enriching experience with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment