Wednesday 8 April 2020

Interview With Sisaket Fans: 2011

In 2014, Sisaket brought the largest away following we've ever had at Chonburi. Not only did they sell out their allocation of tickets but they also had a couple of hundred (good natured and well behaved) fans locked out. Admittedly, many of them lived locally - and it was a long way short of the 10,000 promised by their chairman when they were first promoted to the TPL in 2010, or the 7,000 mentioned below - but it was a very impressive turnout by the Isaan fans. Here's part of a July, 2011, Bangkok Magazine Online feature on Thai football and the Dangerous Kouprey supporters were among those interviewed. You can read what they had to say below:



Sirichai Moollek, 36
A driver for a logistics company, is a loyal fan of Sisaket FC, attending almost every one of their matches since they reached the TPL.
How often do you follow them?
Nearly every match. I keep up with them by e-mail or Facebook. Last time I went to Pichit by charter bus after the all fans pitched in. I took the bus with other fans all from Samut Prakan where my company is located.

Why Sisaket?
They’re my home town team. I’m so proud that we’re cheering for a local team, not for foreign teams, like the English premier league. I also like their style of playing.

What’s your cheering style?
I ask my fellow fans to cheer politely. Whether we’re winning, losing or drunk, we have to make sure not to get carried away.

What do you want to say for those who haven’t attended a game yet?
If you want to see Thailand in the World Cup, then we have to support them.


Chanid Wongharm, 32
An engineer at Amata Industrial Estate in Chonburi, tells about how he started as a fan of Chonburi FC before becoming a head cheer for Sisaket FC.
How did you become head cheer?
It may be because l dare to scream and play with the other fans. After getting this title, I do my best. Last year I never missed a match. This year I’ve managed 70% of the home matches and all the away games.

What are Sisaket fans like?
I am very thankful to Chonburi and Muangthong who pioneered the team cheer culture. Sisaket used to have rude cheers like “Get the flip out of my way!” and other bad words. But now we scream only “Sisaket Su Su” or our cheer songs. We can have as many as 7,000 fans at away game.

How do you get such a loyal following?
Getting people on the internet isn’t enough. I ask existing fans to bring five friends along. They realize it’s really fun and keep doing it and then ask their friends to do the same. I even ran into an old friend who I hadn’t seen in 12 years. It’s amazing.

How do you control the fans?
Friends keep an eye on their friends. If they find someone being rude or throwing things, they will stop them. Thrown bottles and shoes will tarnish the whole Sisaket province.


Akarat Tokaew, 31
A Sisaket municipal official, who never misses a single home game, is at his first away match (v Muang Thong Utd).
What’s it like being an away fan?
I’m really impressed by the huge number of Sisaket fans here. I never thought there would be this many.

How did you get here?
I came by car with five of my friends, and we split everything from gas to hotels. After the game, we will sleep overnight before driving home. I also took the day off after the game, so we can travel a bit before going home.

How long have you been coming to watch Sisaket?
About three years, when they were still in Division 1. Back then the tickets were free, or about B20. I also bought every shirt. At games, I do everything—cheering, singing, blowing the horn.

How do you feel about Thai football getting so popular?
I’m really happy. I have followed the English Premier League for so long. I am a fan of Liverpool, but now we have our own team. I want Sisaket to have a good stadium like the one Buriram has. I want more people come to support Thai football. I don’t expect that we will go to World Cup soon but we should try to become a leading team in Asia, like Japan.


Yongyut Gonggaew, 35
An animal carer at the Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Science, photographs memorable moments from Sisaket games around town.
When did you start showing up to Sisaket games?
Just last year, after they got into the Premier League. I am from Sisaket province so I cheer for them. I only follow them in Bangkok or close by.

Who do you come with?
At first I would come alone, but then my wife and my 7-year-old son wanted to come too, so I bring them to watch the games with me. They’re also here today. My son knows all the team songs.

Why do you take photos?
I love taking photos. I started taking photos when I was 19. I upload them to the Sisaket webboard. My username is Bor Bui.

What is the charm of cheering at the stadium?
I meet people who love the same thing as me—football and photography. I met a lot of people who come from Sisaket, too, and it feels like I’m in my hometown. The culture of fans coming to cheer makes Thai football more interesting.


Katedithee Chalermwan, aka Funwan, 24
Tells us about her first time as a pretty for the Sisaket team.
What do you do normally?
I’m a professional Pretty, and I have an internet shop at Victory Monument. This is my first time working for Sisaket, and it’s their first time enlisting pretties. They told us that we have to go wherever the team is playing.

What is your experience at the stadium like?
It’s pretty good. I met a lot of fans and everybody enjoys the game. They’re really devoted to the team. I want to invite those who haven’t attended yet to please come support local teams, so we can make it to the World Cup some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment