Friday 24 April 2020

Interview With Gareth Johns: 2015

My interview with Gareth Johns, a Muang Thong Utd fan, from 27th October, 2015.


Please can you introduce yourself
Sure. The name's Gareth, I'm a 28-year old Welshman and I'm wasting away my best years educating Thai adults.

How would you sum up Muang Thong Utd’s season so far?
Surprising. Very little in the way of lows, but the biggest plus has to be going toe-to-toe with Buriram. The match up there in Isaan – the 2-2 draw – being my personal highlight.

What were your expectations at the start of the season?
After the *relative* struggles of last season, and with not a lot in the way of signings (we're only running with four foreigners), I really wasn't expecting us to be quite so spectacular.

What are your expectations for the rest of the season?
British people are naturally pessimistic. We've had all optimism beaten out of us from a young age. Miss out on the title by two points.

Do you think the fact that, yet again, the TPL seems to be a two horse race will have a negative effect on the league as a whole?
Is parity better overall? American sports have generally struggled to gain support from outside their continent, whilst the world is packed with Real Madrid and Barca fans. Is it better that you can see Muangthong and Buriram shirts up and down the country or that the towns and cities with the 16 other TPL teams have a better / any chance of seeing their side come out on top? I am too biased to say.

To be honest, though, I suspect this duo-horse thingy is only short-term. The crowds seen in Korat in the Premier or Udon Thani / Khon Kaen in the regionals show where the future lies.

Even though you are doing well, crowds at the SCG seem to be down on previous years. Why do you think this is?
I can't pretend to not be disappointed by them, yeah. Part is, I suppose, down to the violence with Port at the back end of last season. Mostly, though, Muangthong fans are used to the best. Third place (without the points deduction) isn't really acceptable to a team that's won so often so recently. I mean, really, who'd visit Muangthong Thani to watch a loss? An unpleasant experience and disappointing results. It'd be like ordering an nonalcoholic Chang.


Which other TPL teams have impressed you this season and why?
ToT. I genuinely never thought they'd manage to find a way to get relegated. I thought they'd be around forever. Like the common cold or the constant threat of terrorism.

Which other TPL players have impressed you the most this season and why?
That Hassan Sunny chaps seems halfway decent.

What have been your impressions of the TPL as a whole this season?
It's difficult to gain any particular impressions since we keep talking a month off every time Thailand fancy playing Vietnam yet again.

What is the best thing about being a Muang Thong Utd supporter?
We only have to visit Minburi once per season.

And the worst?
We have to visit Minburi once per season.

How close to you feel to your club?
Not very. But luckily, I'm not the kinda football fan that wishes to feel close to the club. Every time I see Dragan wai, I feel a little more weirded out.

If you could swap one Muang Thong Utd player for one Chonburi player, who would you get rid of, bring in and why?
Not really in any desperate need, but if I must, I'd give ya Kim Dong-Jin for that Suttinun chap. Mostly because Kim always seems like he's trying to murder people with his feet.

If you could make three changes at Muang Thong Utd what would they be?
1) Drop the SCG. I know it's where half our budget comes from, but seriously, a cement company? Sponsorship from local cement companies is usually reserved for under-9 teams.

2) A roof. A proper one, not just over the back two rows. We play in the rainy season, don't we?

3) Singha, not Leo. Leo tastes the same going down as it does coming back up.


What are your thoughts on Chonburi’s form this season?
It's not a great sign when Bangkok United is a near rival... I don't really want to say too much and risk trolling. I suppose, looking at the table, defence has been the problem. You're let in only one less than last season having played 13 games less. I am starting to question my decision to say I'd take Suttinan off you.

Which of our players are you most wary of and why?
I suppose only Thiago Cunha. We are playing Keegan football, so we're a bit leaky in the back end. A sensation familiar to anyone that's ever eaten at KFC.

Do you think the controversies in the first meeting will inspire Muang Thong Utd on Wednesday?
Nah. I'm personally of the opinion that the refereeing way a tad iffy, but then, that's not unusual in these parts. I mean, a few weeks ago Buriram won 7-0, then we did an hour later. Anything you can pay, we can pay better?

At this point of the season, being top on goals scored with nine left to play, motivation shouldn't be difficult to find without avenging a couple of reds.

What kind of welcome can the visiting fans expect from the locals on Wednesday night?
Errr, pleasant if you lose.

We all know Thai clubs and newspapers like to give big matches ridiculous titles, how would you bill Wednesday’s match?
Chonthong Megaclassico. Of course.

Anything else you’d like to add?
Yes. This game will end disappointingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment