Thursday 23 April 2020

Interview With Franz Schwarzwaelder: 2009

My interview with former Chonburi goalkeeping coach, and good friend, Franz Schwarzwaelder, from 2009.


Me - Please can you tell me a about your background. Where you come from etc.
FS - I `m from the South-West of Germany. A place called Hambach near Neustadt an der Weinstrasse, which is a very large wine growing area. My parents were winegrowers and I grew up on this little family run farm.

Me - Who were your heroes and favourite teams when you were growing up?
FS - Petar Radenkovic from 1860 Munich and Norbert Nigbur at Schalke 04 were my favourite players. My favourite teams were 1. FC Nuernberg, with Max Morlock, and Burnley. I'm pleased to see them in the English Premier League.

Me - In your opinion, who was the better keeper, Sepp Maier or Oliver Kahn?
FS - Sepp Maier was slightly better.

Me - Before you became a coach you played at a reasonable level. Please can you give me some details.
FS - At the age of 8, I started playing with 1. FC 23 Hambach. I became a goalkeeper by chance and I ran through all the youth levels up to A. Being a representative youth player, clubs became aware of me and Fritz Walter, the manager of SV Alsenborn at that time, gave me the opportunity to play in the 2nd Bundes League. I was there from 1968 until 1974. During this time, in 1971, I also represented the German U21 national team. Between 1974 and 1977 I was at 1. FC Nuernberg and then played for Hassia Bingen in the 1978-79 season.From there I moved to Mainz 05, where I stayed unti 1982.

Me - What was the biggest game that you played in?
FS - In 1976 for 1. FC Nuernberg against VFB Stuttgart. We won 1 : 0.

Me - How did you get into coaching?
FS - I have always been happy to work with people and that`s why I chose and finished an educational training course. I also have a Sports A-License.

Me - Where have you coached in the past?
FS - In 1982/83 season I was at Mainz 05 coaching the under 18s. I moved from there to coach FK Clausen, in 3. Liga, until 1986. Between 1987 and 1989 I was training to become a trainer. From 1990 to 1992 I worked with the under 14s at 1. FC Kaiserslautern and then onto SV Niederkirchen in 4. Liga for one year. For the next four years , 1993 to 1997, I coached at ASV Winnweiler and was also employed in Senegal (Kaolak), Tunesia (Nabeul), Kreta (Keraklion) and Turkey (Antalya).

Me - Who is the best coach you have ever worked with?
FS - Alexander Ristic , from HSV, with whom I did my Bundes League license.

Me - What brought you to Thailand?
FS - I came on holiday to the north of Thailand. During that time I visited schools in Chiang Mai and Kanchanburi. I've been here ever since.

Me - Which head coaches did you work with when you were employed by the Thailand national team?
FS - From 2001 to 2004 it was Chanvit Polchevijn.

Me - And which Thai international players have you worked with?
FS - Lots. Datsakon, Winothai and almost all the current national players.


Me - How, and when, did you get the job at Chonburi?
FS - Initially through Nigon Chumnakul, a sports reporter, in 1998. And then again through Jadet Melap in 2006.

Me - How long have you been with Chonburi?
FS - Five years altogether.

Me - What do you consider to be our club's biggest achievement?
FS - Winning the TPL Championship in 2007.

Me - Do you think that Chonburi can win all three trophies this season (TPL, AFC Cup & FA Cup)?
FS - I would be happy with two.

Me - Kosin, with whom you work very closely and have known for a long time, is an extremely talented keeper. Do you think that he could play in Europe?
FS - Yes, he has everything a first-class-goalkeeper needs and he is very ambitious.

Me - His form has been really impressive this season. He has improved every aspect of his game. Why do you think this is?
FS - By methodic training and sheer hard work.

Me - Which other current Thai goalkeepers do you rate?
FS - Toey from Pattya United and, for the future, Bas from Assumption College SriRacha U18s.

Me - You also work as a coach at Assumption College in SriRacha. What has been your biggest achievement with your team?
FS - We won the Thailand Cup and The Air-Force Tournament with our U14s in the same year.

Me - Are there any good young players coming through the system at ACS?
FS - This question is very hard to answer because you have to wait for their development. However, during my time with ACS I have trained, amongst others, Arthit, Suree and Kosin from Chonburi, Dai from Chonburi FC, Art and Beckham from Chula and Aek from Samut Songgram. There were also some very talented boys from whom I haven't heard again.

Me - Finally, Thai food or German food?
FS - German food.

Me - Really? Thai beer or German beer?
FS - Beer Chang.

Me - Thank you, Franz.
FS - You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment