Wednesday 15 April 2020

NEW! The Rovers Return: 2012

The Rovers Return
by Dale Farrington


One of the big questions that usually gets asked before any away trip is 'Do they let food and drink in?' It was especially important to us Chonburi fans because, until the start of this season, such things were strictly verboeten at our own stadium. It was a policy that baffled many and angered some. It also made us hugely unpopular with travelling fans, who were not used to such draconian rules at their home grounds.

Thankfully, most places we visited prior to 2020 weren't as petty as our club and refreshments were always welcomed in the stands. Some of the more progressive ones even let you take in alcohol, although certain restrictions may apply. One such venue was the OBJ Stadium in Saraburi, which was then the home of Osotspa.

I had driven to the match with my regular companions, Tim and Brian, and we had enjoyed our usual pre match meal at one of the numerous food stalls outside. Just before kick off, and after being relably informed that this was an ale friendly environment, we stocked up on cans of Chang and approached the turnstiles.

I was slightly behind the other two (I was taking photos for the website) and was relieved to see them waved through by the friendly guards without any problems. However, as I approached the gate, I was met by a stern faced man who was wagging his figure, in that rather annoying way that anyone with even the vaguest hint of "authority" does.

"No. No," he was saying and pointing at my beer.

"But he's just taken some in," I replied, gesturing in the vague direction of Tim.

"No. No," he repeated.

At that point, a kindly young girl stepped in and explained that it wasn't the beer that was the problem, but the containers. She then produced a plastic glass and let me empty my three cans into it. This satisfied the guard and I was allowed access.

When I got inside, I was met by a slightly irate Tim.

(I've cleaned this up a bit!)

"They've taken my beer off me! That idiot over there. He came over and took it away. I can't believe this!"

He then noticed my drink.

"You've brought some in! Why can you bring some in and I can't?"

Rather sheepishly, I had to admit that I'd been the one who'd grassed him up.

"They wouldn't let me bring my cans in so I told them that you had done. I guess that's why they took them off you." I then ducked, in anticipation of a punch, that thankfully never came.

Tim was still fuming and effing and jeffing, when something rather wonderful happened. The security man who had relieved my mate of his first half tipple, was now walking towards us carrying a plastic container full of beer.

"Here you go, sir. Enjoy (or words to that effect)," he said, handing the frothing pint to a visibly astonished Englishman.

I don't think I've ever seen Tim happier - before or since - and he was genuinely touched by this man's act of kindness and decency. However, I don't think he's ever really forgiven me for snitching on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment